• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food dilema

Soooo, I have been eating a low sugar(basically no sugar), no gluten, no grain diet. The reason is that seems to be the best food for overall better blood work. However, with my current energy dilema I always seem to feel a little better when I cheat and eat some carbs(ie) pasta and rice. I’m sure someone has figured out how to get enough carbs in a healthier manner. Help!

FYI- I’m about to start a bunch of new vitamins and supplements. Would d ribose be a sugar that might serve the same purpose? Thanks all

Lisa108

with my current energy dilema I always seem to feel a little better when I cheat and eat some carbs(ie) pasta and rice. I’m sure someone has figured out how to get enough carbs in a healthier manner. Help!
Hi, Jpac!
I've been on AIP (Auto Immune Protocol) for several months and am slowly switching to Paleo. AIP can also be low on carbs. Some people, who do not do well on that, include rice (although it's not strict AIP). For me, eating more starchy vegetables, like sweet potatoes, plantains, squash, helped.
"Normal" Pasta is not grain-free. So no option for me.

Do you eat enough healthy fat?

Would d ribose be a sugar that might serve the same purpose?
I'm using d-ribose and it gives me a little extra energy. However, d-ribose is a form of sugar. If you eat low carb and then use d-ribose this might just have the same effect as if eating a snickers bar- a short rush of energy followed by hypoglycemia. Which will make you more tired and craving for more sugar...

Yep, I’m basically eating paleo now. Do you only take ribose once per day or multiple through out?

alex3619

I'm using d-ribose and it gives me a little extra energy. However, d-ribose is a form of sugar. If you eat low carb and then use d-ribose this might just have the same effect as if eating a snickers bar- a short rush of energy followed by hypoglycemia. Which will make you more tired and craving for more sugar...
Ribose is a pentose sugar, and is not quickly converted to a hexose sugar (glucose typically) for energy. It is however important for energy generation, and we cannot do the opposite and turn hexose sugars into pentose sugars.

Lisa108

Yep, I’m basically eating paleo now. Do you only take ribose once per day or multiple through out?
It depends on how I'm doing. I add 5g in my first beverage (mostly tea) of the day every day. Sometimes this is it. At other times I'm doing 3x 5g a day.

If you are eating paleo, then eating berries, dried dates, fig, coconut could be other ways to add some carbs.

Ribose is a pentose sugar, and is not quickly converted to a hexose sugar (glucose typically) for energy.
Yes, my snickers-bar-analogy might be way too loose. Glucose (from the snickers ) increases insuline production, which will then lead to a lower blood sugar level. The way how d-ribose leads to a lower blood sugar level in the plasma 30-75 min after taking it is not that well understood. But certainly it does so and I just wanted to caution against that.

caledonia

I have to eat some starchy carbs or my blood sugar gets too low. I alternate between sweet potatoes, regular potatoes and steel cut oats. I have to watch the portion size or I will start to gain weight. 1/2 cup or a little more is about right.

Rice is too glycemic, and I don't tolerate gluten, so regular pasta is out. Wild rice seems to be ok though.

If I had better access, I would do some other alternate grains like amaranth. I don't like quinoa.

The reason I have heard for needing starchy carbs is adrenal fatigue, which I do have.