• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food Allergies and Eating Out With Friends.

Misfit Toy

Last month I was invited to eat out about 5 minutes from home in this cute little town where they close down the street and make it basically outdoor dining for every restaurant in that town. It's super fun and low key.

I didn't do it last year, haven't had anyone to do it with and this year I do have friends to go with.

I suggested a couple of places knowing full well I have food allergies. I am Celiac and I am allergic to milk and tomatoes. Of course my favorite food is Italian. But years ago, even when I could eat it, I wouldn't eat it all of the time. I also can't have soy.

There are so many restaurants in this town that I mentioned and many are totally gluten free and allergy friendly. Well, don't you know this woman says, "Let's go to the Italian Grille." Of course, she is Italian. And...she probably eats it regularly.

So here are my thoughts.....I live in the mecca of Italian food. I live outside of Philly...can you say, Italian? My first thought is...really? I mean, out of all of the cool restaurants, the Farm to Table restaurant, the Middle Eastern and Indian Food restaurants, the French restaurant, the Thai restaurant... you are going to recommend Italian? That is all that people eat around here.

One of these days, I am going to be out and someone is going to burp up a meatball and a noodle! :eek:

I don't know. It just bums me out. I went online and looked up this place and they have zero in gluten free food, or food without milk. But, I can always get a safe salad. BORED.

I guess my point is...just for once, I wish someone would say, "Hey, MT, you choose the place, you are the one with the restrictions." But, I know that even if I did that, this area that I live in is so provincial that Middle Eastern food, which is healthy and delicious, or some of the other "granola locales" would be out of the question.

When it comes to food, I am usually always having to accommodate to someone else's needs or wants when it comes to going out for dinner or lunch. I either don't eat much, or get the same boring thing like a salad over and over because more times than not, people don't like anything other than going to places where everything is fried, or an Italian restaurant. Anything healthy is usually out of the question so I often go out alone and eat.

A few years ago, I actually put an ad on Craigslist asking for someone to eat out with me every once in a blue moon. I explained my food allergies and I said in the post that all of my friends either eat, "tater tots, or pizza." Many laughed and were totally up for trying different food, or healthy food, which was nice. But many either bailed and the one friend I did meet from the experience moved across country.

...I need to move back to San Francisco where people actually did things interesting and tried something NEW.

One of the only reasons I stay in my area is because everywhere I go takes Medicare and I can see almost any doctor. So many places are not like that. I am covered, totally. But man, I want out of this area. I want to live near some "crunchy" people. :balanced::balanced::D Actually, Philadelphia has some cultured diverse people, but my circle of friends don't want to go there or try...culture.

Rant over.

Last edited:

zzz

@Misfit Toy, I can really relate to your situation. Like you, I have a really hard time finding friends to eat out with. But my reason is slightly different.

I ate all my friends. :cry:

Well, not all of them. I'm allergic to some of them. Yeah, those food allergies are a pain. :(

Let's face it. This disease does really weird things to your diet. :rolleyes:

But allergies change, of course. This can be really inconvenient. Or not.

But word is starting to get around. So, for example if I say, "John, would you like to come over for dinner?" I'll typically get a response like ":eek:" or ":jaw-drop:".

So now I have no one to eat out with. Or even to eat in with. Or even just to eat. :bang-head:

This disease really sucks. :mad:

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
I just started gastrocrom, It is a mastcell stabalizar FDA approved and I am eating everything witout getting food poison everytime I eat, Just a thoguht. Is early days for me but so far so good.

PennyIA

If it were me? I'd reply back...

That's such a great idea. Unfortunately there isn't anything on their menu that I will be able to eat... however, maybe we could try something new.... what do you guys think of trying ____________________.

And if she brings up the Italian thing again either ignore her or suggest she go there some other time when it won't mean her own friend has to go without eating.

(yeah... I'd say something like that)

Misfit Toy

@Inester7-when you have celiac, gastrchom wouldn't work and it would still (the gluten) burn my intestine. Plus, milk. This isn't mast cell, but I appreciate your suggestion!

@zzz , we will never eat out!

@PennyIA -I woke up to an email today saying well they have salads! So in other words, she's already made up my mind about what I'm going to eat. Thanks! Ugh.

PennyIA

Yeah... I'm so sick and tired of salads being the only option.

I'd reply back that since you are in the mood for a meal, not a salad... that you'll probably pick somewhere else to eat... but thanks for the information in case the urge to have a salad comes to you in the future.

LOL