• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Following Freddd's Protocol. Am I missing anything? Check out SNPs.

Hi guys,
I am doing 855mg l-carnitine Fumarate, 1000mcg MeB12, 1000mcg AdenoB12, and 200mcg MeFolate, and 2x99mg potassium.

In the past, both folate and folic have made me very tired. I think the adenoB12 makes me irritable. The very first day I took the whole Freddd combo, I slept like a baby and felt really good. The next day I didn't sleep so well and lower energy and some anxiety.

Many times, things feel good then turn bad with supplements and drugs. Interestingly, when I first started taking potassium by itself, I slept beautifully, my fatigue and depression lifted and I was warm with rosy cheeks. It only lasted a couple days and then it started to make me feel bad. I took hydroxycobalamin injections, too: Good then bad.

More info: Chronic macrocytic anemia (101), currently 3 different kinds of neuropathy for no good reason ( I'm relatively young), fatigue, depression, insomnia, food intolerances. A blood or urine test once showed low (not high) methylmalonic acid. No idea about homocysteine.

Here are my SNP's:
COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-

COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-

VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+

MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+

MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-

MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-

MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-

MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-

BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+

CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-

CBS A360A rs1801181 AG +/-

Comments please! :)
Louise

Mary

Moderator Resource
LL - First I don't know anything about your SNP's, hopefully someone else can help with that.

It sounds like you definitely need both folate and methyhlB12 due to the macrocytic anemia. You say both folate and folic acid have made you tired. First, I would stop all folic acid. That can interfere with folate absorption.

It's quite possible that folate made you tired because paradoxically you needed it and it caused your potassium levels to drop as things started working better. Your doses of Freddd's protoocl aren't very high although of course it's good to start slow. You may need more potassium.

When I first started Freddd's protocol 4 years ago, I initially had a wonderful increase in energy which lasted a couple of days and then got hit by severe fatigue, which turned out to be low potassium. I had to titrate up to 1000 mg of potassium a day and stay there for about a week I think. The potassium lifted the fatigue and I was able to continue with the supplements. I was taking 1600 mcg. folate, I forget how much adenoB12, 5000 mcg. methylB12 and probably 3 855 ml. carnitine fumarate.

So your current problem may be due to low potassium. It's the easiest thing to fix. Two 99 mg. is not very much. We need roughly 4000 mg. potassium so 200 mg. is 1/20 of the RDA. I'm currently taking 600 mg. a day.

FWIW, I recently doubled my folate to 3200 mcg. as jimbo on this board said his energy had markedly increased on over 5000 mcg. I should have gone more slowly. I did well on the 1600 mcg. (2 800 mcg. tablets) but the 3200 started a rather major mercury detox, very tired and spacey and so on which I'm still dealing with.

So increasing folate and I guess B12 (though I never noticed it with B12 alone) can cause a detox reaction. These supplements increase methylation, which can cause detoxing. So that's another possible reason why they make you tired.

I would first try gradually increasing your potassium as that's the easiest thing to do. And if that doesn't help with fatigue, you might be detoxing. My chiropractor who does muscle testing was able to pin down that it was mercury affecting me. I should have been able to figure it out on my own but was totally unprepared for the detox as I didn't detox at all on a lower dose.

Mary