• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

folinic acid - flu like symptoms?

Hi all,

I got my 23and me results back and have been trying to make sense of the whole thing. 15 years into this nightmare and I thought I've gotten pretty comfortable picking up the medical terminology, but I'm having a hard time piecing together this mutation stuff.

I decided to give a hydroxycobalamin/folinic acid sublingual a try. I broke off a tiny fraction of it to test it out and see how a react. Needless to say, not good. Within 2 hours I developed flu like symptoms. Basically my whole body was aching, bad muscle aches, feverish, shivering. Took about 2 days to resolve.

Since it was a combo can't say for sure which one, but I know I have problems with folic acid. Foods high in folic acid give me bad fatigue. The only way to know for sure is if I try them separately, but for sure I would try the b12 first if I do that.

My 23and me results came back with: (+/+) VDR Bsm, MAO-A R297R, MTRR A66G, BHMT-08, CBS C699T and (+/-) MTHFR A1298C, COMT V158M, COMT H62H, ACAT1-02, MTR A2756G, BHMT-02.

I tried reading the info from Yasko, but it's hard to figure out what to focus on with all these combinations. Only thing I could confidently gather is I should probably be taking molybdenum. I did a UA amino acid test that came back magneisum deficient, and borderline B1,B6,B12,A, and E. My ongoing symptoms are - anxiety, itching (lots of histamine issues), poor appetite, day long fatigue/brain fog, tinnitus. I'm successfully supplementing with mg and st johns wort. Noticed better exercise endurance while on mg.

Does anything jump out at you guys with the 23andme results? What should I focus on?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks guys.

Critterina

Hi @cotedor,

What jumps out is that you used folinic acid, not methylfolate. Folic acid gets metabolized in the body until it gets to folinic acid; that's the last step before the conversion to methylfolate. Although there is controversy about whether that last step is reversible in vivo (in your body), it appears that some of us (including some of us with MTHFR A1298C) have some negative reactions to it. For me, it made it nearly impossible to stay awake, and the effect was repeatable - every time. It took me a while to figure it out, so I have many days of data! :redface:

It's also very possible that you coincidentally contracted a virus, and that if you repeat the experiment that you will get different results. The route you take is up to you, but switching to methylfolate seems to be a no-brainer to me.

Crit