• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate not good for undermethylators?

According to Dr. William Walsh, under-methylators who are also depressed respond negatively to folate. The reason is because the folate increases the rate of neurotransmitter reuptake far more than they are created. He's very adamant on this and has apparently seen this pattern in amongst his several thousand clients with brain disorders.

He basically says only over-methylators should be taking folate supplements. He mentions they respond very well to folate because it causes the reuptake of the over-abundance of neurotransmitters that they have.

This seems to go against what everyone is saying about under-methylators. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Here's a clip from Youtube where he talks about this briefly

Learner1

Folate is necessary for many functions in your body. Too little or too much can promote cancer. So, everyone needs folate.

People's needs for folate and other methylating nutrients can change dramatically over time. It's not just about your genetics, but about environmental factors like your diet, gut health, infections, toxicity, stress, etc.

Before deciding whether to take folate or any other methylating cofactors, It would be prudent to have a comptehensive nutrient test done to determine one's need for folate, B12, B1, B2, B3, B6, magnesium, molybdenum, potassium, selenium, glutamine, glycine, and NAC.

Much as I respect the work Carl Pfeiffer and William Walsh did, I haven't found their definitions of over or undermethylators to be very useful in solving problems. It's much more helpful to use the lab results to guide decision-making.