• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate Issues & Methylation

Gavman

Diarrhoea, here we go again (sung to Abbas Mama mia)
With diarrhoea, dry foods are important to help keep down food. I have vegemite toast, water, electrolyte drinks and I afford myself the luxury of doing nothing but sleeping and maybe reading. Things to promote the slowing of the digestion.
Avoid creamy foods, milk, sugars, overly hot or cold foods, sauces, high processed foods. And have an electrolyte drink on hand. - Make sure its one you are ok with (id avoid ones with maltodextrin (corn syrup and high contents of processed sugars) - chemists generally have decent ones.
The plainer the better so your stomach can settle.

maddietod

Thanks, Gavman. I looked up diarrhea yesterday, and some govt agency has a simple formula: water + salt + sugar, and I'm drinking that. One advantage to waking up every hour all night long is that I drank a liter of this during the night.

I called a nurse last night, and she said carbs - makes sense. So I choked down some rice, and I'll manage some oatmeal this morning. I haven't been able to eat anything 'fancy' - it's been bits of egg, fish, and broccoli and some gluten-free crackers or toast. I'm already off dairy - the nurse asked about that too.

I ate a few strawberries yesterday afternoon, and I think that's what set off a 5-hour disaster. So yeah, dry toast, rice, oatmeal.

Freddd

HI Madie,

Do you have any other flaring symrtpoms with the diarhea that mighrt indicate low folate? Here are the symtpoms again.

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..

IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, neck muscles, Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Group 4

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

Group 3 symptoms, induced paradoxical folate deficiency or insufficiency are corrected quickly with titrated doses of Metafolin, methylb12 and adenosylb12. If glutathione (precursors) are the cause then larger doses of Metafolin, 7.5-15mg,or maybe more are needed. Different tissues are affected at different levels of methylfolate, it comes or goes in stages. Very strong dose proportionate characteristics are present. Serum folate levels may be high or even very high despite Metafolin responsive deficiency/insufficiency symptoms.

Group 1 symptoms respond readily to potassium. The symptoms and response to potassium may occur at a serum level of 4.3 or less.

maddietod

Hi, Freddd,

No, I haven't had any other symptoms. At the beginning I had awful intestinal pain, but only the first 2 days or so. Then some days I would have 'normal' energy and go out running errands, and some days I'd read all day on the couch. No fever, rashes, etc. Two days involved particularly long hours in the bathroom, and of course these wrung me out.

I started seriously rehydrating 2 nights ago, and promptly got an extraordinarily stiff neck and spine + headache. One member says that happens when we rehydrate.

Yesterday's diet of oatmeal, rice, and three liters of rehydration fluid has worked.

I am sufficiently spooked by this that I have made an appointment with Nancy Klimas' people, in August.

Freddd,

Thank you for responding. Its a creepy insane nerves frayed feeling. It can be in my spine (i have often said there is something in my spine and something in my sinsues and we found a lot of fungal balls in my sinuses recently, now cleaned out).

The creepy feelings can be in my upper back as well. I usually take glutathione and it helps but I am holding off and experimenting with your protocol.

I was thining all of this was lyme then mold toxins but now wondering. I also have yaskos b12 snps: MTR and MTRR which means I gas guzzle b12 adn dont recycle it well. I was a vegetarian (eggs rarely but cheese often) for 23 years and breastfed my kids for 7 years while a vegetarian. I got sick about 6-7 years into that while the kneewall fo my shower was growing a mold colony.

I also have yasko's COMT++,++ which she warns agains methyl b12 and methyl groups in general becasue the methyl groups keep dopamine and adrenaline from re uptaking and or recycling. SO we are supposed to have about 4 times the amount of adrenaline than most people.

So I dont know if its the increase in methyl donors I am adding in the mix here or the start up.. if the latter, I can expect it to go away it seems.

I have not loaded up my weekly pill boxes yet. so no co factors at the moment while I started this. I should be taking ADEK1 and 2/4 and 7, minerals for kpu (zinc, mangansese, chromium, moly) selenium, B6 (KPU) B complex (bio body with no FA or b12), carnitine (not your recommended form yet), TMG I think in Betaine? fish oil, ubiquinol, primrose (KPU). Im sure IM leaving something out. I am still taking C.

What do you think of Paul Cheney's electrolyte drink (for cfs folk with dysautonomia): 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp no salt (610 potassium chloride in a 1/2 tsp) 4-6 times a day (I have made in a water and lemon drink.. its good with stevia).. do you think the salt interfers with the potassium in the sense you are talking about?

I am for better or worse taking 1 800mcg metafolin with the 5 mg jarrow sublingual 3 times a day. 1 Ab12, source naturals.
@soulfeast
Did you ever figure out your spinal issue? I'm having the same thing. Thx!