• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FMO3 gene

Hi,

Has anyone heard of any research that may implicate the FMO3 gene with CFS/ME?

I have a couple of genetic variations that predispose me to TMAU (fish odour syndrome), but as far as I'm concerned, TMAU is only a symptom of malfunctioning FMO3. My version of TMAU is intermittent and, generally, dependent on stress levels and the food I eat, so it's fairly easy to control. Some people have an extreme version of TMAU which affects them enormously (in a social sense), fortunately I don't, but I do have ME (whatever that turns out to be).

FMO3 plays a big part in the metabolisation of foodstuffs and environmental and endogenous chemical compounds, and, since a lot of people with CFS/ME have problems with chemical sensitivity, drug intolerances and dodgy hormones it seems reasonable to consider FMO3 involvement somewhere along the way.

Anyone have any thoughts, or info, on this?

trace

*GG*

Hi,

Some people have an extreme version of TMAU which affects them enormously (in a social sense), fortunately I don't, but I do have ME (whatever that turns out to be).

trace

Sorry, don't know much about genetics, wish I had studied it in College. What do you mean by "whatever that turns out to be?" I believe ME is well defined.

GG