• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fluctuating BP, for a Lyme friend

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Someone with Lyme disease asked me to ask for her:

She has usually fairly normal bp, but slightly high in the afternoons. Lately, however, it has been going very low, for instance 89/49 or 99/51, and then spiking quite high, for instance 174/72.

She has been checked for adrenal and pituitary tumors, and the scans were negative.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Her cardiologist recommended a nitroglycerine pill, but that doesn't help.

I am sending her the link to Meadowlark's high blood pressure thread, and I sent her also Dr. Myhill's site explaining that blood pressure spikes could be from food intolerances (among other things, but that sounded possible as it seems to happen at a similar time of day), and the Dinet site.

Any more resources or experiences to share?

Thanks.

Undisclosed

BP can fluctuate wildly during the day. It's normal depending on a whole bunch of variables. My BP is highly variable -- 160 over 100 when in a stressful situation. 90 over 46 when relaxed and lying down with a heart rate of 45. A variable BP is not, in itself pathological and does not require treatment.

The BP's you quoted are not abnormal. The diastolic number is the most important with 90 being the upper limit of normal.

My suggestion. Get a BP cuff and measure BP over a week at rest and with activity. A doctor can easily read the values. Occasional spikes mean very little, it's the more constant values that mean alot.