• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu shot symptoms

soxfan

I had a flu shot for the first time last year (Sept 2010). Within 3 hours I began experiencing flu symptoms including chills, headache and a 102 temp. I felt very flu like the entire following day but within 24 hours the symptoms had disappeared.
I asked my neighbor who is a nurse what could have caused this and she said the preservative that is in the injection. I am not sure why I had this reaction but now I am worried about having the shot again this year.

I never catch anything (sore throats, colds, flu etc...) so I am thinking not to bother with it this year. Anyone else had this reaction before and if so do you think it was caused by the preservative? Thanks.

*GG*

Haven't had a flu shot since becoming sick (over 8 years now). I need to update my Tetanus, last on in 97, but not going to do that one either now. I believe it has Thimerasol in it, and I have read recently that the Tetanus is combined with Pertussis (whopping cough).

I was seeing another Dr about 2 years ago, my Major flare time, and I asked about the Swine flu shot, and he said his pregnant wife and 2 youngs ones were not going to get the shot, and he was like take your cue from that, so I did. No shots for me!

GG

Wayne

I never catch anything (sore throats, colds, flu etc...) so I am thinking not to bother with it this year. Anyone else had this reaction before and if so do you think it was caused by the preservative? Thanks.

Hi Soxfan,

I look at most things having to do with my health from a risk/reward ratio. For myself, I believe the risk of doing any kind of vaccination far outweighs the possible benefits I might receive. I also never get the flu, so a flu shot in particular would not be something that would be worth risking. Too many stories of how even healthy people can respond negatively to routine vaccinations; and I believe we who have immune system disorders are even more vulnerable (perhaps far more) than the average person.

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
For any "childhood" diseases I would recommend vaccination (like IPV, MMR, and so on, usually only needed as a child). The risks of these diseases usually outweigh the risks of the vaccination, and that by far.

But for the flu? As an adult with ME/CFS?

Quite frankly, if you are mainly housebound with ME/CFS (and don't catch anything anyway), I wouldn't bother.

And I don't think Thiomersal is a problem with vaccines, I think the two main things that can cause problems for some are an unusual strong reaction to the adjuvants in the vaccine and an unusual reaction to the main vaccine agent.

(By the way: Most of the flu cases are caused by entereoviruses as far as I know, and you can't vaccinate against them anyway.)

Valentijn

Yeah, they're useful for avoiding serious diseases, but full of nasty preservatives that are likely to cause problems if you can't detox properly (and if you have ME, you probably can't detox properly). Looking at the ingredients, I noticed that MSG/E621 and its relatives are in a lot of the flu shots, and that's something I'm specifically unable to consume without getting migraines.

soxfan

I am seeing my doctor on Thursday and will ask his advice. He did advise me last year not to get the shot but I did anyway...I work in a pharmacy and the pharmacists were giving them free to all the employees so I went ahead and had it. I am pretty sure I won't be having it this year as I don't catch anything anyway. I had the flu shot in 2006 and had no reaction at all so that was another reason why I really wasn't hesitant last year.

Thanks for all the advise..will let you know what the doc says!

Marg

Hi,

I became sick two weeks after the flu shot of 1993. I have not had one since. My husband and I use homeopathic remedies made for the stain for the year now. Neither of us had had the flu since 93. PM me and I will send you the site if you would like. I learned of this company from a ME-CFS friend. I also had 7 years of allergy shots and all the the vaccines required for living in Europe for 5 years and kept them up for several years in case we went back. I think all of this did a job on the immune system.

soxfan

Went to the doctor today and he said NO to the flu shot..I was pretty sure that would be his answer. Since I rarely catch anything anyway I am not too concerned with not having the shot this year.

richvank

Hi, all.

According to Dr. John Cannell, taking 5000 IU per day of vitamin D3 prevents getting the flu. He found this out initially from treating patients at Atascadero State Hospital in California.
That's the approach I'm taking.

Best regards,

Rich

soxfan

How long should we take the 5000 IU of Vitamin D..my doctor has me taking only 1000 IU. The last time I had a bad flu was in 2002.

Thanks Rich!

richvank

How long should we take the 5000 IU of Vitamin D..my doctor has me taking only 1000 IU. The last time I had a bad flu was in 2002.

Thanks Rich!

Hi, soxfan.

I get my serum 25-OH vitamin D measured about every three months, and I'm planning to try to hold the level at about 50 nanograms per milliliter. It seems that the dosage needed varies quite a bit from one person to another, to achieve the same level in the blood. My brother has gone to 10,000 IU per day now, I think he said, because his level was stubbornly low.

Best regards,

Rich