• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu jab

rosie26

@ladycatlover Glad the lady came through the tetanus, would have been a huge shock for her and all. I'm actually due again for a top up tetanus. The last one I had was 2007 after standing on a garden fork. The one before that was 1997 after standing on a nail at work.

I don't think I have ever had a HepB vaccination. It's sounds like one of the riskier ones for spinning out into ME.

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Just a thought for anyone who thinks Rituximab may be in their future:
http://ard.bmj.com/content/early/2011/03/06/ard.2010.144998
Any patient considered for rituximab therapy should receive all indicated vaccines (hepatitis B for at-risk population, pneumococcus, tetanus toxoid every 10 years, influenza annually) before treatment. Ideally, vaccination should be undertaken at least 4 weeks before rituximab therapy.

IreneF

Having a reaction to a vaccine is an indication that it's working. You've just had a bunch of antigens injected, so your immune system is reacting. You are, in theory, trading a small amount of discomfort now for an enhanced response to a dangerous disease because you're building up your antibody-generating capacity.

Alexi

I haven't had a tetanus jab in 24 years because I reacted badly to the last one @ladycatlover I naively hope that I have immunity from the jabs I had as a youngster.
When I was retested I didn't have immunity against this, diphtheria and other childhood vaccinated illnesses. Having suffered pneumonia, pleurisy and other nasties, my immuno has recommended to have them all again plus adult Pneumovax and flu jab (not all at the same time). i know I currently don't have good immunological response and consistently get infections.
I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't

Mrs Sowester

Tricky, isn't it? The last time I had a tetanus jab I couldn't move my arm for about a week, it just froze from the shoulder to the elbow.