• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu/Cold/Allergy Like Symptoms?

Ocean

Thanks Cindi, I get those as well. Just wasn't sure which symptoms were classified as neurological.

Ocean

Valentijn, It's great you have support despite being in a different country from where you grew up. Like you, I had past episodes for many years but none like the one I've had this year. This one seems unrelenting and very severe. At the time of course I had no idea what I had, I only got a diagnosis recently.

Hi everyone,

How many here have some of these symptoms as some of their most prominent? For me, flareups mean long-lasting low-grade fever, swollen glands, sore and red throat, flushed and hot and bright pink face, severe nasal congestion and mucus, headache, jaw ache, and facial pain resembling sinus infection pain. Do many others get these types of symptoms?

From what I've read it seems a lot of people get muscle pain and cognitive issues and sleep issues but I don't hear as much about these symptoms that resemble cold, flu, and allergy. (As a side note, I don't get muscle pain, but I do have brain fog and overstimulation issues, severe exhaustion, I'm guessing POTS, sleep problems, and more, especially when flaring. And I've had drastic, severe muscle loss that to me seems like it can't all be explained by inactivity.)

These are the major indicators of a flare for me. I don't know what triggers them. Before symptoms of CFS started to appear 3.5 years ago (after the first sinus infection I ever had) I had no known allergies, so I don't know if I suddenly developed any or not. Blood tests show I have low immune system functioning, so I suspect it is my immune system coping with whatever invaders it detects.

Ocean

anna_o I really feel my immune system is acting up too. I've had allergies for many years but what happens with the CFS is a whole different feeling to me although my allegies do get worse too, which my lab tests confirmed. At first they tried to say my CFS was an allergy, that was really absurd to me but I definitely can buy that CFS worsens my allergies.