• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

flagyl=crap

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Is it normal to feel like crap on flagyl? Do others think it indicates some type of bacterial die off?

would someone without any infections would they feel any effects?

I dose once a day every so 0ften but 2 or more days in a row and feel like crap, not to different to what I have read on cpn forum or lyme forums.

i take bactrim regularly to keep sinusitis away which it has done a good job. I also have thought it may help with some other undiagnosed infections common in cfs. Testing is unreliable and supposedly lyme doesn't exist in australia even though its been proven it does exist with autopsies and blood sent overseas for testing etc

Besides sinusitis , I feel better on abx and add other abx every so often but flagyl knocks me around. Is it indicating lyme, cpn or mycoplasma not picked up in testing???

rosie26

I have taken flagyl many times in my mild years but not since. I never had any problems with it whatsoever back then.

I was on amoxicillian trihydrate over a month ago and 2 days after I had finished the course my lungs blew up - one lung hyperinflated. I was so very sick and then I was put on roxithromycin and I felt dreadful on that for the first few days - felt like I had myasthenia gravis with it.

I usually have always felt better on antibiotics but not with these last two.

halcyon

I took it when I first got sick before I realized I had a viral infection, GI symptoms had me thinking giardiasis. I had a horrible reaction to it, made me very sick, hallucinations, etc.

zzz

Is it normal to feel like crap on flagyl?

Yes.
Do others think it indicates some type of bacterial die off?

Not at all. It just means that you are one of the many people for whom Flagyl makes you feel like crap.

Very often, yes.
Is it indicating lyme, cpn or mycoplasma not picked up in testing???

Not at all.

When I was in India many years ago, Flagyl was the main treatment for amoebic dysentery. Many people felt that Flagyl made them feel worse than amoebic dysentery, but it had one advantage that it had a well defined treatment period, whereas amoebic dysentery tended to go on forever if you didn't treat it.

Most people find that tinidazole (Tindamax) works just as well as Flagyl, with almost no side effects. Like Flagyl, it belongs to the nitroimidazole class of antibiotics. Tinidazole also has the advantage that it requires a much shorter treatment period than Flagyl.

heapsreal

I took flagyl several years ago with no problems and after finishing the course felt improvement in cfs ssymptoms . I did try it several months after that with nothing negative or positive .

The last 12 months of trying flagyl i have had problems with it.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
That's strange that you felt okay first time around. I felt like I was dying (tried it twice to check) horrendous, so I don't know if I'm just one it doesn't suit. Sounds to me more of a herx with you, due to targetting a specific bacteria, good idea to swop for Tindamax. Can't you send off to the US or Europe for a Lyme and co test?

Last edited:

heapsreal

That's strange that you felt okay first time around. I felt like I was dying (tried it twice to check) horrendous, so I don't know if I'm just one it doesn't suit. Sounds to me more of a herx with you, due to targetting a specific bacteria, good idea to swop for Tindamax. Can't you send off to the US or Europe for a Lyme and co test?

Im looking into the tindamax. Have heard others tolerate it better than flagyl.

costs a small fortune to send bloods from oz overseas. Plus the need to be off abx for awhile i havent been able to do for long enough without sinusitis issues which the fatigue and headaches can have me take time off work. But im due to trial off abx to see how i go. Im hesitant spending money on testing when its not that accurate i guess ?

im putting a few things on hold until i see my immunologist and get some blood test results back. Im going to ask him about lyme as i think the hospital he works at were doing lyme testing, i think??

Mij

Is it normal to feel like crap on flagyl? Do others think it indicates some type of bacterial die off?

I dose once a day every so 0ften but 2 or more days in a row and feel like crap, not to different to what I have read on cpn forum or lyme forums.

i take bactrim regularly to keep sinusitis away which it has done a good job. I also have thought it may help with some other undiagnosed infections common in cfs. Testing is unreliable and supposedly lyme doesn't exist in australia even though its been proven it does exist with autopsies and blood sent overseas for testing etc

Besides sinusitis , I feel better on abx and add other abx every so often but flagyl knocks me around. Is it indicating lyme, cpn or mycoplasma not picked up in testing???

I took flagyl and abxs to treat h.pylori. I was warned I would feel terrible and not to drink any alcohol. I don't drink anyways so no problem there. I got super dizzy from 'die off'. but it eventually went away.

Hanna

I have been taking Tindamax with lesser side effects than Flagyl for Lyme and co this year.
On the contrary, Flagyl was a nightmare to me. I took it pulsed for amoebiasis in 1997 for a whole year before getting hit by ME/CFS in 1998. I don't say there is a causality here, but it is known that flagyl does not do any good to mito function.

redaxe

I tried this stuff about 18 months ago. I remember waking up one night and needing to vomit so yeah its pretty nasty.

heapsreal

I haven't used alot of cyst busters but think all the abx i have used may have pushed possible lyme into cyst form which might be why i feel so bad on flagyl??

redaxe

I haven't used alot of cyst busters but think all the abx i have used may have pushed possible lyme into cyst form which might be why i feel so bad on flagyl??

nausea and diarrhorea are pretty common side effects of using this stuff - I wouldn't look into it too much because it's really impossible to know what makes you feel so bad.

aaron_c

This is absolute speculation, but: I wonder if candida might be a major factor in Flagyl side effect severity. From Wikipedia:

Metronidazole (Flagyl), which is used to treat certain parasitic infections as well as pseudomembranous colitis, causes similar effects to disulfiram

disulfiram (Antabuse) prevents the oxidation of acetaldehyde to acetic acid ... ALDH1 is strongly inhibited by disulfiram, while ALDH2 is resistant to its effect.

So even if you aren't drinking alcohol, you might have enough candida to create some acetaldehyde (the stuff that causes hangovers), and if the Flagyl prevented your body from metabolizing it, I would imagine you might feel like you have a terrible hangover.

msf

Not at all. It just means that you are one of the many people for whom Flagyl makes you feel like crap.

This is not a satisfactory answer in my opinion. What makes some people feel like crap on it? If we don´t know, it seems to me that it COULD be because those people have infections.

msf

FWIW, I found that I could tolerate it ok (I´ve only taken in on one occasion for 7 days so far), but that I had to restrict my already limited diet still further for my gut to be able to tolerate it. I ate only rice cakes and cheese for a week! It was only afterwards that I found out that Flagyl may be a MAO inhibitor, and that cheese (or the tyramine it contains) is supposed to be avoided when taking a MAO inhibitor. It did not seem to cause me any problems though.

I think the fact that I did not get any Herxheimer reaction suggests that: a.) I don´t have Lyme, and b.) I either no longer have a Yersinia infection, or alternatively that Flagyl is not effective against Yersinia persisters.

bspg

Plant Queen
I took a course of flagyl in 2014 right before I got REALLY sick with ME/CFS. I had a horrible reaction to it.

~5 days into treatment I started having the worst panic attack of my life and couldn't calm down. I was screaming and crying for hours and had this horrible sense of impending doom that wouldn't go away. I've never experienced anything like that in my life. My bf ended up taking me to the ER and they told me it was probably not the flagyl but to stop taking it anyway.

Within a 12 hours of stopping it, I started to calm down. No one believes that it could've caused such a reaction but I've seriously never experienced anything like that before. I had the doctors chart it as a medication I'm allergic to so that I never have to take it again. It was horrible!

Charles555nc

I felt terrible on flagyl with some nerve damage/irritation symptoms. Tindamax does the same things without the horrible side effects.