• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finger nails

PDXhausted

I'm sure it does, but I don't know what. I had that problem too after eight years of being on continuous birth control-- it resolved after I quit the birth control. I could never quite figure out what it was that causing it though, whether it was like a specific vitamin or mineral deficiency that the birth control was causing, or maybe because the birth control was affecting my thyroid or something like that (even though my thyroid labs were always within reference range).

peggy-sue

My "half moons" all vanished a few years ago, and over the last year, I too have found my nails splitting like mad.
The splits even seem to start half-way up the bit that is attached to my finger, they split both vertically and horizontally.
:mad:

Have also noticed about a year into illness that my half moons on my nails disappeared after getting ill. Does anyone know what the reason may be? Also have small indentations that look like pin pricks.

peggy-sue

I have no idea. I read about them vanishing on another forum, and subsequently noticed mine had gone.
I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been suggested to me.

I get pin-prick pits in them sometimes, and they have gone very striated - vertical ridges from root to tip.

The most peculiar thing that has happened to my fingers is complete loss of elasticity in the pads of my fingers.

If I press my thumb and forefinger pads together for a short while, then remove the pressure, I have great big dents in my pads for a long time.

I tried to time it once, but gave up after an hour - the big dent was still there. My thumbs are the most "impressive":p .

I suspect it has to do with an ME-related general failure of elastin and collagen....

Leopardtail

Peggy Sue,

I get all of those things too:
  1. loss of half moons
  2. tendency to split
  3. longitudinal striations in the structure of the nails.
I know at least some of these problems occur with thyroid issues, but not sure if that is the cause of my problems. Right now I just started trialling vitamin B2 to see how I go on.

Leo

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I had mild splitting for many years, pre-CFS. Also vertical ridges. Zinc stopped the splitting and also made the ridges less pronounced.