• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibroscan Results

Dear All,

I received just yesterday yet another Fibroscan test from an ME/CFS patient having the syndrome for about 25 years. The Fibroscan shows extensive Liver Fibrosis.

There will be more Fibroscans coming in as i asked from members of a Fibromyalgia FaceBook group in Greece to take a Fibroscan test.

You may also want to look at the comments of my post on the following FaceBook Group, which are very interesting indeed. I have attached some excerpts from these comments :

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 12.01.07.png

https://www.facebook.com/groups/395708700534538/

Here is the Fibroscan Test suggesting Moderate to severe Liver Fibrosis. The patient had completely normal Liver tests :

st-annot.jpg

Note : The test was forwarded to Janet Dafoe.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I agree that liver is important. We cannot access fibroscan with normal blood tests ( NHS), or even additional bloods ( zinc, copper etc)
My daughter has ME, i think has potential sulfation issues, ( from drug reactions and physical symptoms) but doctors don' t seem to think it important enough....
How do you access a fibroscan ? Nuffield in Glasgow only offers standard liver tests per NHS.

aquariusgirl

Is this available in the States? The one paper I looked at said not?! It was from. 2012 though.

What is causing the liver scarring?

What’s the treatment?

@anni66

It is very unfortunate that the NHS does not provide Fibroscan tests unless there are abnormal Blood Liver tests. Scientists do know that there can be Liver Disease while at the same time Liver enzymes appear to be completely normal :

There is no single biochemical marker that can confirm a diagnosis of NAFLD or distinguish between steatosis, NASH, and cirrhosis [8]. Although mildly elevated serum aminotransferase levels are the primary abnormality seen in patients with NAFLD, liver enzymes may be normal in up to 78% of patients with NAFLD [12, 29]. Additionally, the entire histological spectrum of NAFLD can be observed in patients with normal alanine aminotransferase (ALT) values [30, 31]. Therefore, liver enzyme levels are not sensitive for the diagnosis of NAFLD. The elevations in ALT and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) are typically mild when present and are usually not greater than four times the upper limit of normal [29, 32]. The ratio of AST/ALT is usually less than 1 in patients who have either no or minimal fibrosis, although this ratio may be greater than 1 with the development of cirrhosis [33].

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2012/145754/

To this day i do not know if OMF plans to introduce Fibroscan tests to ME/CFS Patients for their Research purposes.