• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fiber supplement for IBS issues?

EMilo

Elizabethmilo.com
I'm on a roll asking advice about odd things... When this sickness started and I was trying to figure out what was going on, a gastroenterologist told me to take 2 tsps of Benefiber in my tea in the morning. Benefiber has been taken off the market and Walgreen's generic "Clear Fiber" made from dextrin kind of skeeves me out.

I found these 2 online and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them or any other product that is gluten-free and helps IBS-C (and general bowel harmony)?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EP3IEA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XFYSG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23YP9T6PP0V1I

Thank you!!

Lotus97

In regards to the Metamucil fiber I'm not sure if it helps IBS (it's usually used as a prebiotic), but you can get inulin a lot cheaper elsewhere:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-inulin-powder-8-oz-227-grams-pwdr

You can check retailmenot.com for coupon codes for Swanson and the other major online supplement venders. You can also sign up for their mailing list.

Psyillum is supposed to be helpful for both diarrhea and constipation. You need to make sure to drink a lot of water with it because it expands a lot when it absorbs the water.

Have you read the customer reviews for the acacia fiber? I learn a lot about supplements from customer reviews. There's the reviews on Amazon and there's even more on iHerb you can read:
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=heather's acacia&x=-759&y=-135#p=1

IreneF

My experience with fiber supplements was negative. They increased the contents of my gut (I had huge turds) but had no effect on how my gut felt.

Undisclosed

I have found fiber supplements to make things much worse. I accidentally found that calcium and magnesium settle my symptoms down to a great extent. Don't ask me why, because I just don't know.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
everyone is different, but limiting fiber is better for me, too.

I find that avoiding certain foods (e.g. soy, oats) and all additives (e.g. malted barley flour, most natural flavors, all excitotoxins) and using a small amount of a good probiotic works best for me.

I think you're right to avoid dextrin.

Of course, if you want to try fiber, there's nothing wrong with that. If I were going to try a fiber-only addition I would feel good about trying the products you found. (But if I wanted to add fiber I would likely try a fiber food [some of the stuff I currently avoid] first, simply because I need the nutrients. But everyone has different needs and preferences.)

BadBadBear

I cannot tolerate psyllium fiber at all - no matter how much water I drink, it feels like my intestines clog up. :( I like Heather's Tummy Fiber better, no real issues with it but neither do I have any benefit. I do best with gluten free, and adequate magnesium, potassium, and C to keep my gut moving things along but not overly active. If I want fiber, I make flax muffins. Yum. :)

undcvr

Isn't fiber contraindicated in IBS ?? You are better off with clay.

The theory is that anything fibrous scraps along the intestinal lining making things worse. Pple with true IBS take alot of rice to calm their gut down and follow the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Apple and Toast but the true issue here lies in an immune system/ inflammation disorder.

Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM have helped some.