• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

feeling worse on B12 inj

Hello

Please can I have some advice, i've been taking 1mil of hydrox...b12 inj once a week with no problem but not really feeling enough benefit so my Dr changed my dose to half a mil every other day. I've been having this for 3 weeks but feeling worse. Not sure if it is the change of dose of B12 or not.

Can upping the dose of B12 over the week cause you to feel worse in the shortterm while it mops up toxins etc? is this normal?

thanks

baccarat

How much are you taking in mg or mcg (1ml is the volume). What other supplements you're on? are you following the SMP or the active one?
Worsening of symptoms may be a sign your body is mobilising toxins.
Rich said that in his study some people took up to eight weeks (I think, not sure the exact length of time) of feeling worse before feeling any better.

HI Ottiebow
Every person is different, but I have found over the past 3 years of trying methylation supplements that I can't handle increasing doses quickly or drastically. Reactions to some supplements are immediate, but the worst reactions don't become evident for about two weeks. I can't really say whether this bad reaction is due to toxins or simply an accumulation of the new supplement due to an ineffecient detox system. For myself, I know that if I get the two week reaction, it will get progressively worse unless I back down on my dose. For many people, this reaction is due to COMT.

therron

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hello

Please can I have some advice, i've been taking 1mil of hydrox...b12 inj once a week with no problem but not really feeling enough benefit so my Dr changed my dose to half a mil every other day. I've been having this for 3 weeks but feeling worse. Not sure if it is the change of dose of B12 or not.

Can upping the dose of B12 over the week cause you to feel worse in the shortterm while it mops up toxins etc? is this normal?

thanks

Yes, knowing the number of mg per ml would help us respond. In my personal experience with injecting hydrox (I inject 3 mg every other day and still need to increase the dose) I've found that I had to titrate the dose up very slowly or I would feel worse.

Sushi

sorry for the delay in replying, i've been in bed. I'm taking half a 1mg/1ml of hydroxo. They come in 1mg/1ml ampoule and I keep it in the fridge and have half of this every other day.

I'm also taking 0.5mil of magnesium per week
Iron supplement
vit C
Vit D 1,000 iu.
1,000mg Omega 3
VSL -3 probiotics
Zinc 15mg
betaine tablets 2/3 before i eat
200mg Q10
Multi vitamin

I would be really interested to know your thoughts,

thanks

richvank

Hi, ottiebow.

That's not a very big dosage of B12 for treating ME/CFS, but as has been noted, some people need to start with a very low dosage and work up. I don't know why you are reacting to it. I think it's possible that you might be reacting to an impurity in the injectable, such as via an allergic reaction. You might try switching to a sublingual form of hydroxocobalamin, such as the HydroxoB12 MegaDrops or the Perque lozenges.

Does your multi contain a form of folate, such as folic acid or folinic acid, or 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate? For treating ME/CFS, the combination of B12 and folate seems to be the key.
Folic acid is not such a good form of folate to use, because it takes several reactions to convert it to the forms the body actually uses, and some people are not able to do these conversions very well.

Best regards,

Rich

richvank

my mutivit contains 400mg of Folic Acid would this be enough?

Hi, ottiebow.

I think it would be a good idea to add some methylfolate (Metafolin, FolaPro, or MethylMate B) and to take it at least two hours away from when you take the multi, so that it will be absorbed well by the gut. Hopefully the folic acid will not interfere with importation of the methylfolate into your cells. In people who do not process folic acid well, it can build up in the blood and hinder the transport of methylfolate into the cells.

You could also consider changing to a multi that has no folic acid, or one that has methylfolate instead of folic acid, such as the Thorne multis.

Best regards,

Rich