• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling guilty for the way i've handled the illness

L'engle

moogle
I got ill at 15.

I think there is something uniquely difficult about getting it at 14-17 that people who get it older don't suffer. (Not that it is easy for them.)

I agree. The fact that mine held off until I was 19 is hugely different than 14-15. Being a teenager is so difficult anyway. I shudder to imagine how I would have dealt with this if I became ill at that time, or how much more my self esteem would be affected. Sorry that you both got ill during such a formative time.

redviper

I got seriously ill at 26 and echo the sentiments expressed by most of the posters here, I think everyone here has asked similar questions at some point during their illness. Like others here, I find my motivation through my desire to overcome this illness and be able to help others.

I think those of us who got sick with severe ME/CFS young have a particularly unique perspective on life, I can tell you that my priorities in life are different than every single healthy person my age that I know.