International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Feel terrible after taking lactulose

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by tinacarroll27, Feb 19, 2018.

1. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    Hi all. I had a SIBO test on Friday and took some lactulose as part of the test. Friday I was fine just a bit of gas after. Saturday I had quite a bit of stomach pain but Sunday I felt terrible with a bloated stomach and lower back pain. Today I can't get out of bed and the pain in my back is worse and I am so bloated I look pregnant. Surely it can't be the lactulose can it? I can't think of anything else to have caused this!

2. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    I had the same. For me bloated stomach = SIBO. Lower back pain = adrenals (stress!)

3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    The lactulose is designed to feed the problematic bacteria in the upper intestine for the purposes of the test. Your adverse reaction suggests that you might have SIBO, unless it's just your lower intestinal bacteria reacting. If you test positive and get treatment then the bloating should clear up.

See more popular forum discussions.