• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel bad on B-Complex, is it methylfolate or folinic acid?

Here is my methylation data: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By9VwoUlJRdCWmZ6Sl82cWJ4R2c

I decided to try a quality B-Complex: https://numedica.com/Product_detail.cfm?Fname=NM150

Yesterday which happened to be the 3rd day, I felt very irritable, anxious, wired and generally restless. Upon investigation it seems that a lot of people experience side effects with methylfolate and/or methylB12 if the dose is too high. My B-complex seems reasonably dosed except that it also has 400mcg of folinic acid on top of 400mcg of methylfolate - could that be causing my issues?

I'm heterogyzous for most MTHFR and COMT genes so I should do well with some methylB12 and methylfolate in theory, not sure why I'm having these issues. Perhaps I could try lowering the dose? It looks like most b-complexes on the market have 400mcg of methylfolate so I would have to take half a capsule.

For what it's worth, I don't have the same symptoms today as I did yesterday but I did take uridine (UMP) which supposedly eats up folate. Also, I took TMG for over a year and I remember being very irritable during that period of time but never made the connection.

bigmillz

Just happened to find your post while searching for something else, and I can relate. You don't have the MAOA mutation like I do though. But you might want to look more into those COMT mutations.

ljimbo423

Yesterday which happened to be the 3rd day, I felt very irritable, anxious, wired and generally restless

Those sound very much like methylation side effects. They are very common and are usually worse when you first start them. I got those side effects from both methylfolate and folinic acid.

I've been treating methylation now for 2-3 years and have no problems at all taking 4-5 mg a day of methylfolate and 800mcg a day of folinic acid. Methylfolate is more likely to cause side effects, because it is further down the methylation cycle, therefore it's stronger in it's effects.

Yes, opening the capsule and trying 1/4-1/2 cap to see how you feel, I think is a good idea, then go from there.