Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Federal Court Awards 137,147$ in Attorney fees to Jeannette Burmeister

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kati, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

In an unprecedented motion the federal court awarded attorney fees to Jeannette Burmeister's lawsuit regarding the failure of HHS and NIh to provide Freedom of Information documents following the FOI Act in regards to the IOM Contract and the P2P workshop.

Please refer to Jeannette's blogpost here. She is requesting her full blogpost is not to be copied here, but people visit her blog. The previous posts are also very interesting as it unveils the communications 'behind the scenes' involving NIH Susan Maier and others.

http://thoughtsaboutme.com/2014/11/...ys-fees-against-hhs-and-nih-in-iom-foia-case/

Congratulations Jeannette @NotAllInMyHead and thank you for your dedication and hard work.

Correction: the award was 139,147$, thx to @Ren for poingting the error to me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Ecoclimber, CBS, Sushi and 17 others like this.
  2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

My questions to members are what are the ramification of this award, and how can we use this decision to move forward, particularily as CFSAC will proceed in less than a month, and as P2P workshop is also due in a month ?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
    That is amazing. I don't how she had the energy to pursue this. I'm very grateful -

Mary

beaker, A.B. and Kati like this.
  4. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    Seems like she had some help from other lawyers, one with the same last name. perhaps her husband?

GG

PS Wish there was a super-like button! We have not had any accountability from our gov't in to long in regards to our illness!

mango, jimells, A.B. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Hi @ggingues Edward is indeed her husband, they used to work for the same firm until she got sick.

Just so it is very clear (and she also mentioned it on her blogpost) Jeannette was not doing this for money, she did it because her rights as a citizen were violated by the federal government. Her latest blogposts unveil what is the content of these FOIA requests, and more is yet to come.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  6. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    Meant to mention that I got the info of other lawyers helping her, she credits them in her blog!

GG

PS Hope they can sue them some more!

Valentijn, Ritto, catly and 2 others like this.
  7. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    I understand that all the award is taken up paying Jeannette's legal costs.

Had the award not been made she would still have been liable to pay these costs.

So Jeannette really put herself out there for all of us, both in terms of her finances and her health.

Go Jeannette.... I am SO glad you have put your obvious skills to such good use, and also that you were prepared to risk so much for the greater good of ME patients everywhere - because let's be honest this affects so much more than just USA ... xx

8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Yes @Keela Too, we are all impacted by what's happening in the US just as we are affected by what is happening in the UK and in Denmark, to name a few. We need to join from around the world and fight these issues that affect us all.

mango, Keela Too, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  9. Nielk

Nielk

Jeannette warned HHS and IOM that she will bring on a suit in federal court when she spoke at the IOM meeting in January 2014.

mango, Keela Too, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  10. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

And we still don't. The taxpayers will pick up that judgment, not the "government", and no one responsible will pay a single dime, or suffer the slightest consequence. And the band will play on.

This isn't a criticism of Jeannette Burmeister, who I applaud, but a statement about how the system works. The Burmeisters have embarrassed some folks on a small scale, and we now have written evidence of how we've always known we were thought of, but beyond that, sadly, I don't see anything changing.

Ecoclimber, *GG* and jimells like this.
  11. Nielk

Nielk

This effort is not over. Let's see what all these documents that they were forced to produce will uncover.

mango, Valentijn and catly like this.
  12. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    It's staggering to think that it cost $140,000 to pry loose some government documents. Almost as staggering as the thought that lawyers can get away with charging hundreds of dollars per hour. We truly have a system where folks can get as much justice as they can afford. Which isn't much, for most of us.

Ren likes this.
  13. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I think I found this link on Jeannette's blogpost: http://news.sciencemag.org/people-e...onduct-official-quits-frustration-bureaucracy

The article gives a vivid description of just how awful the HHS bureaucracy truly is. The subject of the story was a director of the Office of Research Integrity. It will come as no surprise that he quit in disgust, as he was not really allowed to do his job. I can imagine he would've been appalled if he had been able to review the ME/CFS research being promoted by HHS.

Valentijn, Ritto and catly like this.
  14. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
  15. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    You mean the "Insurance Executive Guaranteed Bonus Act"? Yup.

Marylib likes this.
  16. Hate ME/CFS

Hate ME/CFS

Sacramento, California
    This is a major victory for ME/CFS patients all over the world. Hopefully, it makes the government take us more seriously. Also, there is no mention of this victory from our sham advocacy groups, CAA/SMCI or Pandora. Nothing but crickets chirping. LOL

catly likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.