• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fecal metagenomic profiles in subgroups of patients with ME/CFS

arewenearlythereyet

One of the things that seems to always get missed in these discussions about "pathogens" is that Microbes do need a receptive environment to grow. Our body has several environments within the gut that suit particular micobes etc.

Simply removing the perceived offenders doesn't mean that they will not just re-establish themselves either in the gut or beyond. Predation\population pressure is a factor, but environment is probably more significant. This is why probiotics and antibiotics as solutions will not alter the outcome unless you address the environment that caused the supposed imbalance in the first place.

I think what we need is a fantastic endosope that measures metabolites, pH etc in situ at the same time as taking a sample of the microbiological flora for plating up in vitro. Examining faeces seems a little after the fact?

msf

Anyway, I think there are some problems with this study. Why not try to look for a connection between microbiota composition and levels of LPS in the plasma? Even this would only be looking at one side of the problem though, since intestinal permeability is determined by the interaction between the microbiota, the gut environment (including diet), and the immune system.

msf

I was thinking of that one, but as I recall those two observations (increased LPS and altered microbiota) were separate. I meant to say someone should look for a correlation between specific microbiome-types (or even just levels of particular genera or species) and levels of LPS in the plasma. Someone with a better understanding of statistics than me.

Aroa

he (Lipkin) is in direct competition with the likes of Ron Davis who has managed to capture the community's imagination more effectively

This is very Real and very Powerful IMO.

nano device.jpg

Having said that, all "good" research is welcome, but we are in a hurry !!!!!

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
C Difficile.

You are aware there isn't anything solid in this area, which is why you stated this :)

Literally:)

C difficile would fit in with a external pathogen rather than an inbalance in commensal microbiota :

Clostridium difficile is a Gram positive, spore forming anaerobic bacillus that in contrast with popular belief is not a normal commensal of the adult gastrointestinal tract.1 The organism is acquired from an exogenous source and given certain conditions can induce disease.

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/81/956/367

Manganus

When trying to kill off specific bacteria the only strategy I am aware of is to kill them all and repopulate. Is anyone aware of other scientifically established protocols?
I really doubt if it's teoretically possible to kill, like, all of a bacterial population. I would guess that regardless of method, there will allways remain a rest population.

The trick, unless I'm mistaken, would hence be to reduce the population that much that other bacteria and/or white blood cells were able to consume the bacterias faster than they reproduced. Usually with the help of antibiotics. In the intestines, one may guess that white blood cells are less important.

An alternative to "killing them all" may be to, one way or another, strengthen or add those kinds of bacteria that may keep the unwanted one within bounds.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Just wait for someone to test LPS and cytokine levels in people with ME after exercise. I believe we will see a much stronger correlation, with a greater separation between cases and controls.

I quoted severe heatstroke as one condition where translocation of gut bacteria can ultimately result in death. Extreme exercise is another (related) condition leading to 'leaky gut':

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254616300163

Where appropriate I feel that exercise (or other stressor) challenge should be mandatory in ME/CFS studies.

Manganus

probably you understand it better than me but in my mind, the LPS are being produced, and it is an unrelated failure of the microbial ecology that provides the increased intenstinal permeability, rather than the LPS being so many that they force their way through.
Well.. like 25 years ago, I did understand some of what was then known about endothelial cells (and immune system cells).
Very little remains, and meanwhile the scientifical front has moved ahead. I hardly understand anything nowadays.

And in particular, I do not understand how LPS should cause disruption of the tight bonds between outer cells of the intestinal walls.
:/

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
we need faecal transplant urgently... as soon as I can do it, I'll do it! I need a healthy gut microbiome right now! I've got the "gut feeling" that the answer lies there. Go lipkin!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
The issue really is to see why these "nasty bugs" are where they are....

Yes of course, if we are talking in terms of altered microbiome. That is quite different from what I was talking about which is bacterial translocation - when gut bugs end up in the blood stream. There is really only one way for them to get there - through the intestinal wall/tight junctions. They should definitely NOT be in the blood stream - can lead to sepsis and death and every effort should be made to treat them with antimicrobials, and then attempt to tighten up the junctions in the gut that are letting them through. I wasn't suggesting treating an altered microbiome WITHOUT translocation with nuke level abx.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think the underlying cause-s of an altered microbiome in PWME has to be treated first. I assume a faecal transplant wouldn´t be a cure otherwise. I think it has been tried already with a temporary, good effect.
I know at least one PWME who was made significantly worse from it and has had terrible gastro issues ever since, far worse than the original issue. We should be careful.