• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA Warns Of Kratom Harms Including Death

barbc56

The CDC says boiling water will kill salmonella too. I guess it's not such deadly advice after all.

Do you really think the company should not recall this product?

The fact that salmonella has been found in some of the pills, then yes, I think it’s possibly dangerous advice.

The above is really a separate issue of whether the supplement works or not.

Ema

Because they aren’t regulated, they make a higher profit.

As if the pharmaceutical industry isn't the worst offender?

21%
This is the 2015 profit margin that Forbes estimated for the healthcare technology industry, making it by far the most profitable industry of all, with major and generic pharmaceutical companies leading the way.

The company really setting the pace is Gilead Sciences(NASDAQ:GILD), which has a profit margin of nearly 53% over the last 12 months.

And that industry is far from immune from safety recalls itself.

Goya had a salmonella recall on adobo sauce last year too. Shall we ban it? Mighty bland tacos ahead.

barbc56

Would you please include the url to the Forbes artical as I would like to read it. Thanks!

nanonug

Supplemental sellers are getting rich selling these products. Because they aren’t regulated, they make a higher profit.

The idea that a company operating in an unregulated free market is able to extract higher profits than a company with a Government enforced monopoly is risible. In any case, supplement makers are far from being unregulated. The fact that the FDA is able to coerce a recall is proof that supplement makers are regulated.

liverock

Its 14 years since the Head of Research at pharmaceutical giant Glaxo came out and said "most of our drugs dont work." The NHS bill for drugs in 20016 was £15bn, using his statistics over half (£7.5bn) was being wasted on drugs that don't work and no doubt will be rising every year.

Figures for how many of the those whom the drugs don't help and are actually damaged by them, seems to be unavailable.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ugs-do-not-work-on-most-patients-5508670.html
Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said fewer than half of the patients prescribed some of the most expensive drugs actually derived any benefit from them.
It is an open secret within the drugs industry that most of its products are ineffective in most patients but this is the first time that such a senior drugs boss has gone public. His comments come days after it emerged that the NHS drugs bill has soared by nearly 50 per cent in three years, rising by £2.3bn a year to an annual cost to the taxpayer of £7.2bn. GSK announced last week that it had 20 or more new drugs under development that could each earn the company up to $1bn (£600m) a year.

People in the UK are completely in the dark about the continual rising cost of drugs and assume that any increase in funding to the NHS will automatically mean more hospitals and beds, when most of any increase will be swallowed up by the annual rising costs in the drugs bill.

Last edited:

valentinelynx

If you would like a recommendation for a vendor that sells kratom that is thoroughly tested for safety and content, and sold at a very reasonable price, let me know. I have no connection with the vendor, other than having purchased from them.