• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA approves brain-cooling device for insomnia

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Cort has just posted an interesting thing about this on his site (so many of us are sensitive to meds that this might be of particular interest to PWME, but note that it won't be available until the second half of 2017):

Cort said:
New FDA Approved Device for Insomnia May be More Effective Than Drugs

Medscape reported that the FDA provided clearance for an insomnia reducing device called the Cereve Sleep System to be sold in the U.S. It's design suggests it could have application for some people with chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM).

Currently sleeping pills are the treatment of choice for most of the 55 million people in the U.S. with insomnia but sleeping pills tend to diminish alertness and can have other side effects.

It's inventor, Eric Nofzinger, M.D., a board-certified sleep physician and published researcher, Nofzinger produced a hypothesis paper "A Neurological Model of Insomnia" that used brain imaging studies to explain insomnia neurologically. Nofziner's model inwas different in that it didn't focus on psychological-behavioral issues as most models of insomnia do but. He posited that persistent activation of neural structures that produce "wake-like" states were responsible...

Read the rest at:

http://www.healthrising.org/forums/resources/fda-approves-new-treatment-for-insomnia.347/

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
t won't be available until the second half of 2017):
Available now though not as high tech: The Arctic Heat cooling cap.
2549820.jpg

Gingergrrl

I usually use an ice pack on my neck b/c of pain but realized I didn't do it last night and I literally did not sleep at all (and usually I do) so there may be something to this idea after all...