August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Fasting regenerates the immune system?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by wherearemypillows, Mar 11, 2018.

1. wherearemypillows

wherearemypillows

Alberta, Canada
    I came across the following article that reports on a study from the University of Southern California which found that fasting for three days can regenerate the entire immune system:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...ys-can-regenerate-entire-immune-system-study/

I don't know much about the scientific mechanisms of the types of ailments dealt with on these forums, but I've seen autoimmunity come up a lot and for myself I know that I seem to be dealing with some sort of autoimmune issue based on a very high Cunningham Panel result (testing done with Dr. Kaufman). Therefore, this study really intrigues me and has made me curious about fasting. I'd be really tempted to try the three day fast (but first I need to do some more reading about fasting hah...).

Do any of you have thoughts on this? Have any of you fasted for an extended period of time?

crypt0cu1t and echobravo like this.
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I've done ProLon 3x now. It's been great for me, but a ketogenic diet suits me very well in general. I would highly recommend it.

wherearemypillows likes this.
  3. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I have serious questions as to the safety of 'breaking down' the bodies WBC pool via fasting and expecting it to rebuild a healthy new one in the face of chronic infection, which many of us seem to have. I feel terrible when I have tried fasting and it makes me feel much worse. YMMV.

4. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    I will not do a fast because I know that fasting can let go the liverphase 1 faster. And it is already going too fast making me ill.

plus, for my body, I know from experience that I very quickly become too thin, then lose my appetite ( I am a small eater, bit too slender, always trouble to keep my weight up)
    When my weight goes under the 60kg I'm in deep trouble. I've had that thrice before, once with hospital needed because weight was running down south very quickly)

so happy that i've got my weight on 67 kg now, gives me some leeway in case i get a virus.

the Indian way of thinking says that fasting is good for certain people, but not all. (So I belong to the ' not all group :D)

5. wherearemypillows

wherearemypillows

Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I think a prolonged fast may be out of the picture at this point (I'm small as it is and don't want to worsen anything), but I've been eating paleo for a couple months and think I'll continue the route of refining my diet, for now.

Sundancer and BadBadBear like this.
  6. rel8ted

rel8ted Senior Member

VA
    My doc is recommending all patients watch "The Power of Fasting" on amazon prime. I have a lot of difficulty on a 24 hour fast, but do ok with intermittent fasting. That is probably due to the fact that by the time I get up shower and eat breakfast, it's almost the end of my day anyhow :rolleyes:

See more popular forum discussions.