• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fast or Slow Phase 1 Liver Detox

soulfeast

Other than running a test, how can you tell if you are fast or slow phase on liver detox?

I am reading that most of us are probably fast stage 1, which creates those nasty intermediates, and slow stage 2 which means we can't clear them as fast as being created.

This makes sense, but I am caffeine sensitive (could be explained by COMT++ status, I suppose) and that can be explained by a slow stage one.

I also have a few CPY 450 snps which also indicate slow phase 1?

Thank you for any insights.

Hi Soulfeast,
I'm glad to see a question about liver detox. Like you, I believe that I have a fast Phase 1 and slow Phase II. For me, liver "backup" is one of the hardest side effects to deal with in the methylation protocol. No matter which supplements I take, they back up my liver within a few days, and then continue to build until I severely decrease or eliminate supplements. I have to go super low and super slow on everything. All of the liver detox supplements fail to help (ie. milk thistle), and in fact, make the liver pressure worse. I would love hear how others are dealing with this. How do we move forward when supplements that supposedly have no side effects make our livers feel so miserable? At this point, I'm just trying to maintain my small doses of 1/4 to 1/16th of recommended doses for tablets or capsules. Increasing "by crumbs" seems the only way to fool my liver. Others?

kday

Hi Soulfeast,
I'm glad to see a question about liver detox. Like you, I believe that I have a fast Phase 1 and slow Phase II. For me, liver "backup" is one of the hardest side effects to deal with in the methylation protocol. No matter which supplements I take, they back up my liver within a few days, and then continue to build until I severely decrease or eliminate supplements. I have to go super low and super slow on everything. All of the liver detox supplements fail to help (ie. milk thistle), and in fact, make the liver pressure worse. I would love hear how others are dealing with this. How do we move forward when supplements that supposedly have no side effects make our livers feel so miserable? At this point, I'm just trying to maintain my small doses of 1/4 to 1/16th of recommended doses for tablets or capsules. Increasing "by crumbs" seems the only way to fool my liver. Others?

I have the same problem, and ALA works wonderfully for this. It's hard for me to describe online, but I could feel it working (literally feeling and hearing the liver work and drain). I don't notice anything from Milk Thistle or other herbs.

Warning though: Could possibly make you feel worse at first since it chelates.

soulfeast

Glutathione has been most helpful for me. I use Lee Silsby transdermal or Livon liposomal. I have yet to give acetyl-glutathione a good trial.

But, with recent use of oregano oil, old toxic symptoms have come back that glutathione was addressing: crazy making "creepy" sensations in my nerves, muscles gait a little off, some neuro symptoms.

It makes sense the OO would cause an increase of toxins from die off that my liver is having problems with.

I also upped to a more bioavailable tumeric from Thorne (supposed to have 7 times normal absorption) and am taking two a day as opposed to one a day of regular tumeric.

Tumeric slows phase one and speeds phase two..

Which has me wondering if I truly have an issue with phase 1 being too fast. Maybe it is too slow (or normalish) and the tumeric is slowing down phase 1 even more resulting in inefficient phase 1 detox.

How do you know if phase 1 is too fast or too slow?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
...Tumeric slows phase one and speeds phase two..

Which has me wondering if I truly have an issue with phase 1 being too fast. Maybe it is too slow (or normalish) and the tumeric is slowing down phase 1 even more resulting in inefficient phase 1 detox.

How do you know if phase 1 is too fast or too slow?

Hi Soulfest,

I did the test and had a very slow phase I and medium phase II. I also discovered that Quercitin can slow down phase one. It is hard to really know without testing, but I bet most of us have imbalances between phase one and phase two as we are so hypersensitive to drugs.

Sushi

Star-Anise

@Sushi sorry since this is an old thread, but I'm having problems with detox symptoms overloading me since starting methylation and especially since introducing adenosyl-B12.
I'm curious, where did you get this test re: rate of phase 1/2 liver detox completed? This might give me some more info regarding where I have to support. I do have a number of CYP snps as well, I just don't have them included in my signature... S.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sushi sorry since this is an old thread, but I'm having problems with detox symptoms overloading me since starting methylation and especially since introducing adenosyl-B12.
I'm curious, where did you get this test re: rate of phase 1/2 liver detox completed? This might give me some more info regarding where I have to support. I do have a number of CYP snps as well, I just don't have them included in my signature... S.

I had the Genova detoxification profile (or something like that!). I don't remember "rate of phase 1/2 liver detox completed. Sorry, it was a long time ago.

Sushi

tango

I'd love tips on speeding up phase 2

I'm wondering... If turmeric slows phase 1 and speeds phase 2 I assume curcumin also does?

Where does NAC fit into the picture?