• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Famvir and Back Spasms?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
One day after I started on Famvir I started having back spasms. The first day my back was like concrete. Now it depends on how I sleep but every day the muscles are tight or cramped. Some days it's just miserable

I Googled side effects of Famvir and it does say muscle pain. I didn't take any this morning (125 mgs) and I had no real problems today but I also took a short acting muscle relaxant around 1 a.m. so I'm not sure.

Has anyone had this problem? I guess anything is possible. Is it a bad reaction to the med or is it the viruses acting up?

Thanks

Seven7

Seven
AHHHHHHHHH that is what is happening! I was wondering where this pain was coming from , I have just increased the Famciclovir dose?!! I am in the same boat then. So far I am seing a chiro and he is doing some sonogram therapy, it helps for half the week. I also have a TENs unit which helps when too bad, but overall the pain is constant.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just figured it out. It started the day after I started on the stuff. Today they are not too bad. My back just feels really stiff. I can't get out to do stuff so I'm gonna look into maybe a massage here.

I'm getting some muscle relaxants today and I lay on a heating bad which feels good. What dose are you on? I was about to go up to 125 mgs 3x/day but I'll do it friday since I missed a day.

I'm not sure if it will end once we get the viruses running or if this is it. I see my doc on Dec. 3 so I"ll ask her but she was not familiar with Famvir I found this:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/famvir/back+pain

Seven7

Seven
I am on 250mg , 3times/day. I was stable on 250 X2 a day but when Increased dosed to 3 times per day, got pain. But all other symptoms are practically gone (brain fog and brain stuff).

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I told my doc 250 mgs 2/x day. She wasn't familiar with it but she knows about PR so we'll see. I'm still taking 400 mgs acyclovir. I'm not sure if it's helping but psychologically it is. I'll stop when I'm at 500 mgs per day.

I sure hope I have good results. I had with the acyclovir. Nothing huge but noticeable to me. I could talk without dying.

Glad I figure it out for me.