• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

fainting question

so I've been having fainting spells since September but recently its gotten worse I've had a cold for the past week and now not only do I faint when I stand I do it while sitting. It's a little odd though. I'll pass out but it'll look like I'm sleeping. My head will just drop then it'll take me a minute to wake up does anyone else have this?

alex3619

While sitting this looks more like narcolepsy rather than hypotensive syncope. On standing its looks like orthostatic intolerance, which can be tested for and there are some treatments.

I have a tendency for an uncontrollable need for sleep sometimes, but its not narcolepsy apparently, or at least does not fit the definition of narcolepsy. I can fight it though, which makes it something other than narcolepsy.

taniaaust1

It is possible to pass out while sitting with severe POTS esp if being still or if sitting with legs down (I have severe POTS and can not sit with legs down or I can pass out). Sounds like you are going to the right place to figure it out and in the meantime, try keeping your legs up when sitting.

Orthostatic intollerance can happen when sitting in severe cases.

I'm definitely trying to cope its a bit hard though but today met with neurologist and I gave him the paperwork. He said there might be a problem with insurance but hopefully it will go through.