• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Faecal Microbial Analysis

outdamnspot

My doctor wants me to do a Faecal Microbial Analysis, but it costs $350 (via Bioscreen, here in Australia) and I don't have very much money.

Would it be worth getting done? Can something like that significantly guide treatment?

renski

Yes, but in my own experience the bioscreen is only part of the picture, and if you are going to do that test then you want to do another test like the Genova GI effects and organic acids to get a better picture of gut problems.. or just do the genova and organic acids..

To give an example, all of my stool tests showed no yeast.. yet the organic acids showed a significant yeast infection, and a Clostridia infection.. and yet bioscreen and genova, doctors data all missed it.

outdamnspot

Yes, but in my own experience the bioscreen is only part of the picture, and if you are going to do that test then you want to do another test like the Genova GI effects and organic acids to get a better picture of gut problems.. or just do the genova and organic acids..

To give an example, all of my stool tests showed no yeast.. yet the organic acids showed a significant yeast infection, and a Clostridia infection.. and yet bioscreen and genova, doctors data all missed it.

Are you based in Australia? I'm not really sure how I would get the Genova test done, since it looks like it requires a US practitioner .. though I found an organic acids test via Nutripath.

I'm wondering how much addressing gut dysbiosis might improve my condition (or if it's the 'root', since I've tested negative for everything else). I'm running pretty low on hope these days ..

renski

Yep I'm in AU.. the Genova tests can be done through Nutripath in Australia.. but you may still need a doctor to go over the results
There are a couple of labs who do the organic acids tests, Nutripath I think has the Genova one..

Great plains is another lab who does organic acids tests, you can order the kits through Australian biologics.. they look for oxalate levels where as Genova doesn't.. both tests are similar though

renski

Yeah you can order the organic acids through Australian biologics without a doctor, Nutripath you can order and do the test but I don't know if they will release the results without a doctor.

outdamnspot

Hmm that organic acids test is kinda pricey. My doctor suspects a yeast overgrowth anyway, based on symptoms. I may just have to stick with Bioscreen for now.

renski

Personally I would do the GI effects over bioscreen,

Organic acids, GI effects and bioscreen.

I went backwards treating the gut, for whatever reason (wrong supplements, not enough tests, self treating etc). It's dangerous stuff..