• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eye issues and Magnesium

Prefect

I have no idea why when I wake up my eyes are red, itchy, and I can't focus them. It feels like they're wiggly and dancing all over the place, and light doesn't hurt them but makes them sort of want to tear up. The entire area behind my eyes also feels heavy.

So the last 3-4 days whenever this happens I take a magnesium l-threonate supplement and the problem goes away in half an hour and comes back maybe 3-4 hours later.

What could this mean?...

arewenearlythereyet

No idea but I also have this in the morning....I put it down to histamine. I seem to have a lot of itching/unexplained rashes etc, so I just lumped this with that lot under "crazy histamine symptoms". These seem to have got worse since I got my b12 and folate levels up.

Prefect

But do you get hay fever? I don't...Is dust mite allergy a histamine response?

And I consume a lot of histamine containing foods that don't seem to exasperate this like Sauerkraut. I drink red wine every night in fact. Wouldn't this impact be immediate?

But why would magnesium fix a histamine response?

Have you been checked for Sjogren's Syndrome? I've been thinking about this lately.

Hutan

Another thing to check out is Graves Eye disease. You can have it even if your thyroid is fine (as assessed by T3 and T4). The tissue behind your eyeball is attacked. Symptoms include red eyes, tearing in the morning/when exposed to light, heaviness behind the eyes.

Typically your eyeballs (one or both) would start to protrude and eyelids retract although it is possible that, if you have the problem, those problems have not yet started.

I don't know why magnesium would help so rapidly and briefly if this was your problem. Magnesium is supposed to help with the hyperthyroid state that is often but not always associated with Graves eye disease. But I would expect that that would be a much slower process.

Prefect

hyperthyroid state that is often but not always associated with Graves eye disease. But I would expect that that would be a much slower process.

If my T3 & T4 are fine how would I check it? I've checked images of what you're saying my eyes may look like (basically looks like Rodney Dangerfield eyes), I don't seem to have that.

No idea but I also have this in the morning....I put it down to histamine.

Have you tried claritin in the morning to see if helps? I haven't yet because I never thought histamine was the culprit.

Hutan

I've checked images of what you're saying my eyes may look like (basically looks like Rodney Dangerfield eyes), I don't seem to have that.

Good, but a number of your symptoms could fit.

e.g. http://patient.info/doctor/thyroid-eye-disease-pro
  • Ocular irritation.
  • Ache (worse in the mornings) behind the eye, especially when looking up, down or sideways.
  • Red eyes.
  • Diplopia (restricted ocular mobility, initially involving the inferior rectus muscles).
  • Change in the appearance of the eyes (usually the patient or family notices staring or bulging eyes).
  • Dry or watery eyes.
  • Mild photophobia.
  • Swelling of the upper and lower lids.
  • Redness of the lids and eyes.
  • Difficulty moving the eyes.
Exophthalmos does not always develop and it does not correlate with disease severity. Some patients with minimal exophthalmos are at high risk of optic nerve compression

So, you don't have to have bulging eyes to have the condition. Checking out your symptoms with a doctor would be a good idea.

Diagnostic tests can include:
  • Thyroid auto-antibodies: anti-TSH receptor, anti-thyroid peroxidase and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (although these have poor sensitivity and specificity).
  • CT or (preferably) MRI of the orbits. MRI is better at showing soft tissue; CT is helpful if surgery for orbital decompression is planned. There will be enlarged extra-ocular muscles (with tendon sparing) ± an increase in orbital fibro-adipose tissue.

arewenearlythereyet

If my T3 & T4 are fine how would I check it? I've checked images of what you're saying my eyes may look like (basically looks like Rodney Dangerfield eyes), I don't seem to have that.

Have you tried claritin in the morning to see if helps? I haven't yet because I never thought histamine was the culprit.
I avoid antihistamines generally mainly because they don't actually get rid of histamine and I like to know what my histamine response is while I'm fiddling with supplements.

Magnesium is a co factor in enzymes that break down histamine so it's possible you get low in the night and that is why you wake up with the symptom? I've noticed that my histamine reaction is worse in the morning in terms of skin rash etc, and later in the day after I've taken my magnesium oil and supplements that it tails off a bit. After this conversation I'm going to consider upping my magnesium before bed to see if my symptoms are better in the morning.

Prefect

Ok this is like clockwork now. This morning I woke up at 6 am, took my Mag L-Threonate, went back to sleep, woke up feeling like a million bucks, went to work with zest I haven't felt for months, suddenly at 11:30 something crashed, my eyes dried up, my nose got dry and inflamed, got tinnitus, dizzy and brain fogged.

This morning is the first time I didn't actually wake up to it, but saw it happen while awake. What the hell is this?!

If it was histamine shouldn't I have a runny nose?