Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Exposure to specific toxins and nutrients during late pregnancy & early life correlates with autism

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by antares4141, Jun 3, 2017.

1. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I bet its to do with the genetics. I have my genes affecting all kinds of things causing deficiencies and problems converting or breaking down things

3. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Unfortunately, it's not simply genetic.
    There have been many wide screens genetically using large populations of people with autism and have not found any simple relation.
    I note the other recent paper on HIV treatment and the vaginal biome posted here.

The genes affecting treatment of specific toxins in the body can be in your gut bacteria, not in your genome, raising a complication in that what you actually wanted to measure was not your sensitivity to some chemical, or your mothers sensitivity to some chemical, times the exposure to that chemical, but your sensitivity, to that chemical, times the effectiveness of her gut microbiome in removing that chemical, times the exposure to that chemical.

rosie26 and GreyOwl like this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Quoting the article:
    The study itself is here.

From the CDC's ATSDR:

But since I understand lead exposures are generally going down, due to the removal of lead from petrol and paint in the 1970s, lead exposure would not seem to correlate with the increasing incidence of autistic spectrum disorders.

RogerBlack likes this.
  5. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Why does one of twins becomes autistic and the other one does not?

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Identical twins get the same genes ... but not the same mitochondria. It would be likely that heteroplasmic mitochondrial mutations would appear in different frequencies and/or in different tissues for each twin. So that's one possibility.

lansbergen likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.