• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exploring potential biomarkers for ME/CFS

Cheesus

Abstract:
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) is a complex disease which affects many different body systems. Disturbance of the immune system, brain and central nervous systems cardiac function, dysregulation of metabolism generally exhibit as post exertional malaise are just a few of the many examples of how this disease can affect an individual. So far, molecular biomarkers have been identified then can diagnose a patient with accuracy.
The two purposes of this study are: (1) to investigate differences in cytokines in two different independent cohorts of ME/CFS patients and gender-and-aged-matched controls as a measure of the disturbance of the immune system, any difference shown would be potential hypotheses that could be followed up in larger cohorts. (2) to develop tools and test them in a model cell culture system mimicking ME/CFS. These tools can then be applied to ME/CFS patient samples. Two independent cohorts in New Zealand were studied. The first was 10 ME/CFS patients and 10 gender-and-aged controls in a Dunedin pilot study. The second was a Palmerston North cohort targeting post exertional malaise of 9 ME/CFS patients 9 gender-and-aged-matched controls and 5 Multiple sclerosis (MS) patients.

Results of the cytokine analysis of patients and controls in the initial Dunedin Pilot indicated two statistically significant downregulated cytokines IL-13 and IL-7 in ME/CFS patients compared with controls and IP-10 and VEGF were found to be near to significance. The Palmerston North exercise study four cytokines were found to be differentially regulated in ME/CFS patients compared with controls IL-4, IL-9, IL-13 and PDGFBB. The two cohorts were then combined for analysis to give greater numbers to the study, and IL-7, IL-13, IP-10 and VEGF were found to be significant, closely mimicking the initial Dunedin pilot study. Analysing the aspect of post exertional malaise was done through a paired T test before and after exercise and 6 cytokines in controls showed significant change. Neither disease ME/CFS and MS followed this trend.

The connection between cytokine change and immune dysfunction was tested with tools developed to measure change in the phosphorylation status of a key protein eIF2α that determines the fate of the immune cell. A cell culture model was set up to model this, and many variations of transfections were performed to test for over expression. Antibodies against eIF2α were produced and purified by both negative and positive selection to detect phosphorylation in Western blots. The antibody was effective in detecting increased eIF2α phosphorylation seen in both neutrophils and lymphocytes in protein extractions from a ME/CFS patient and gender-and-aged matched control.

The outcomes from both pilot studies, showed evidence of dysregulation in some cytokines between ME/CFS patients and their gender-age-matched controls. When an exercise component is introduced ME/CFS patient’s cytokines act very differently to that seen in controls. In summary, disturbance in plasma cytokines, were measured directly and inhibited of protein synthesis in immune cell individually by increased phosphorylation of eIF2α. These observations should be followed up with a larger cohort of patients and focussed study design.

Noble, A. J. K. (2017). Exploring potential biomarkers for ME/CFS (Thesis, Master of Science). University of Otago.

http://hdl.handle.net/10523/7153

This is the abstract for an MSc thesis. It is great to see biomedicine students interested in ME!

Jill

Excellent and note this is only a masters thesis , let's hope they get funded for a Phd. I know for a fact that the neurological foundation that supports warrens Alzheimer's research turned down applications for studying ME . ANZMES has been left trying to find it .
More from prof Tate at invest in ME conf

Murph

:)
Looks great! A researcher with a lot of potential to help us.

Interesting that the performance of ME/CFS cells seemed to be the same as people with MS. Not sure what to make of that.

Jill

The next study Alexandra Noble is doing is looking at the mitochondria of ME patients. I think I posted some specifics in another thread. @Jill unfortunately this next study has been turned down for funding by the department that funds Chronic disease research.

Typical . Terrible thing is they prob don't even know what ME is .
I've been gradually educating the clinical director at middlemore , not that any of the staff there are anybthe wiser really .