• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experiences with dr Hertoghe?

Ninan

I've only seen a few posts on this and would like to know more. How does he treat patients with ME/CFS and hormonal issues? Any experiences?

Effi

@Ninan No personal experience, but I have read a few patient testimonials about this doctor, and interviews with him. I haven't heard anything really positive from PWME, when they went there specifically to get help for ME. It's a different story when you have a differential diagnosis of something hormonal that could be treated separately, cause it looks like he has made quite a name in the hormonal field.

He's a little bit obsessed with 'eternal youth', which is why he has been taking growth hormone himself for many years. (He does look a lot younger than his age, so it seems to be working! ;)) He says that his focus is not to cure, but to give better quality of life.

From what I've heard (and again, this is coming only from patient testimonials) he runs a thorough blood panel, and prescribes a LOT of things in one go, which usually boils down to a combo of growth hormones + something for adrenal insufficiency which he seems to deem necessary for many/most PWME. He also adds supplements and diet/lifestyle advice to that. The ME patient testimonials I have read weren't great tbh. Maybe too much/too agressive for a sensitive body? It also seems difficult to get off the hormones once you've been taking them for a while.

By the way, his sister is also a doctor (internal medicine) and also has a practice near Brussels. It looks like she follows a similar diagnostic routine, but I haven't read any testimonials from her patients.

I have read his book which was honestly mostly self promo. He does not practise by himself at his clinic at this time from what I heard.

But I think his clinic is good think to go I think.

But no personal experience. Only considering him as one of the choise in Europe.