• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experienced CF doctor in San Diego?

Does anyone know of a doctor experienced in CF in the San Diego area? Or one that does phone consults in the California area? The Open Medicine Institute in San Jose has a 6 month wait list and sketchy reviews and I was hoping to get in to see someone earlier. Thanks!

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Dr. Chia is in Torrance. I think he will do some visits over the phone after the initial consult. His wait list was 7 months the last time I checked. My son's quality of life and level of function have improved a great deal under his care.

I'd ideally like to see someone before 7 months and yes I'm willing to travel to Reno but many docs will do phone consults nowadays... Thank you

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'd ideally like to see someone before 7 months and yes I'm willing to travel to Reno but many docs will do phone consults nowadays... Thank you
They are willing to do phone consults under certain conditions: a follow-up to a face-to-face appointment or an appointment for something that will not involve prescriptions, lab tests etc. My doctor has to see me face-to-face in order to legally prescribe for me. Many of us travel--there are just so very few doctors who are able to do much for ME/CFS patients.

Gingergrrl

The Open Medicine Institute in San Jose has a 6 month wait list and sketchy reviews and I was hoping to get in to see someone earlier.

Please don't go by the reviews and they are really solid and will go out of their way to help you in my experience. Of course you should see whoever is the best match to what you need, and are geographically, financially, etc, practical. I am sure they now have a long waiting list for new patients but it cannot hurt to get onto the list and then cancel later if needed. I saw someone (not OMI) who had amazing reviews and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Yes, get on those waiting lists. People cancel sometimes and you can get bumped up. This happened to me at Stanford, I got a call to fill a cancellation, but it was too short notice. It also helps to call to check for cancellations. If you like the work Stanford is doing, get on their waiting list too. I believe the Stanford CFS clinic does do phone consults, my last followup was on the phone. Stanford told me the wait would be a year, but I had a consultation within six months. Because of the nature of our illness it can take months to feel any positive results from a course of treatment, so appointments tend to be at six month intervals at Stanford.