• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experience with UVB Lamp for raising vitamin D

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Sorry no. I will re-check my vitamin D in March as I have other tests to do as well.

Interesting that you have a very good Vit. D level and you doc suggested to keep supplementing. I thought a level of ~60 it would be perfect.

cheers
Thanks for reply. I'm not sure that 61 is a very good level. I have a copy of my results now and it says that it is for 'Combined total vit D2 + D3', that 50-300 is adequate and that >75 may be optimal for bone health.

IreneF

Does anyone have info on using one of these if you are extremely fair? Both my parents had skin cancer, and I don't want it to happen to me.

MeSci

Does anyone have info on using one of these if you are extremely fair? Both my parents had skin cancer, and I don't want it to happen to me.
I couldn't state categorically whether or not it would be safe, but this appendix in the paper cited earlier may help. The researchers
excluded those subjects who had a history of photosensitivity, a history of active skin disease or any history of skin cancer, who were taking medications that limit sunlight exposure (such as tetracyclines or fluoroquinolones), who were taking more than 1000 IU vitamin D or vitamin D analogs daily orally, who had evidence of liver or kidney failure, who had fair skin type I (Appendix A), who were undergoing tanning sessions or subjects who were pregnant.

MeSci

@IreneF, I have copied this out from the printed instructions that come with the Dermfix 3000:
General Contraindications Note

A history of excess UV exposure or radiotherapy, young age, skin types I and II, atypical nevi, and family history of nonmelanoma skin cancer or melanoma are relative contraindications to phototherapy and should therefore prompt a discussion between patient and doctor about the benefits of UVB phototherapy versus the possible increased risks. Phototherapy in a patient with a history of nonmelanoma skin cancers should only be considered if all other therapeutic options have been exhausted.

Absolute Contraindications
  • Lupus erythematosus;
  • Photodermatoses/Genophotodermatoses (Diseased hyperphotosensitivity) such as xeroderma pigmentosum and basal cell nevus syndrome
Relative Contraindications
  • Extreme light sensitivity (Photophobia);
  • Hyperthyroidism;
  • Porphyrin disease;
  • Malignancy of the skin in past or present;
  • Known UVB-allergy or chronic polymorphic photodermatosis;
  • Current use of medication with known phototoxic or photoallergic properties;
  • Current medical treatments causing intensified photosensitivity or skin damage;
  • Current use of systemic antipsoriatic medication (e.g. cyclosporin, methotrexate, neotigason, fumaric acid;
  • Current or previous treatment with arsenic, cyclosporine or systemic tacrolimus;
  • History of exposure to ionising radiation;
  • Numerous or aggressive non-melanoma skin cancers;
  • Underlying medical conditions such as some immunosuppressive states (for example, a liver transplant recipient);
  • Systemic diseases with a photosensitive component such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or dermatomyositis
It's possible that I have made some typos, so do query anything that looks wrong!

In case anyone is wondering, there are 2 units of measurement for vitamin D, ng/mL and nmol/L

The UK tests tend to use nmol/L and the US ng/mL

To convert nmol/L to ng/mL divide by 2.5.
e.g. 75 nmol/L would give 75/2.5 = 30 ng/m

If you are having trouble getting your doctor to agree to a vitamin D test, you can send your own to an NHS (UK) lab:

http://vitamindtest.org.uk/index.html

According to Dr Stasha Gominak, the sweet spot is between 60ng/mL and 80ng/mL (150nmol/L and 200nmol/mL)

She has more information on her site:

http://drgominak.com/vitamin-d-hormone.html

I have recently bought a UVB lamp. I can tolerate supplements, but I've been taking them for 5 years and they haven't made any difference to my health. When I had my levels checked they were "undetectable" which is what made my start taking supplements in the first place. I currently take 5000IU a day.

Discovering that vitamin D is a hormone and not a vitamin has made me think that taking supplements probably isn't the best way to go anyway. I wouldn't mess about with thyroxine unless I had a doctor regularly checking my levels, so I shouldn't be doing the same with vitamin D.

I've only been using the lamp for a few days, but I have been feeling a lot less tired. However, it's too soon to tell whether this is just a coincidence.

This is the lamp I bought.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Lamps-Psoriasis-Narrowband-deficiencies/dp/B00IHMANTG/

I've attached the vitamin D instructions they sent me in case someone would like an idea of what to expect.

Attachments

• carelamps_vitamin_d_user_manual_supplement.pdf
    100.5 KB · Views: 55
  • care_lamps_treatment_manual.pdf
    329 KB · Views: 35
Do you check your vitamin D levels?

No I don't. I came to the conclusion that there that would only be a point in getting them tested if I planned to do something different depending on the results.

I would continue to use the lamp whatever the levels were. I can't overdose using the lamp as my body will only be making what it needs. If my levels are low then my body clearly thinks it doesn't need it. There may be something wrong with my body's ability to make vitamin D, but I think that's unlikely - but I'll keep it in mind just in case.

helen1

I bought a sperti vit D lamp about 5 weeks ago and have been using it 3-4 x a week since then.

The big change I've noticed is better sleep. I wake less often, go back to sleep when I do and sleep more deeply. A few times I've actually woken up feeling good in the morning, wow...

PeterPositive

I bought a sperti vit D lamp about 5 weeks ago and have been using it 3-4 x a week since then.

The big change I've noticed is better sleep. I wake less often, go back to sleep when I do and sleep more deeply. A few times I've actually woken up feeling good in the morning, wow...
How many minutes do you use it in each session?

brenda

I hear that you can use reptile lamps which are a load cheaper to buy. Am considering getting something when l return from my sun blasted Mediterranean trip.

The reptile lamps are too weak to be used in Humans. They don´t have a real impact in persons. Unless you use one for a dinosaur. :D

PeterPositive, you bought the Androv lamp, how is it going on things with that one?. I´ve bought the same one. I´ve read good reviews of people using it. I will use it this autumn and winter to keep my levels after the summer. I come from a deficiency of 11ng/ml, at the end of the summer my levels were 76 ng/ml. I did not feel a real improvement with better Vitamin d levels until I began taking Magnesium. Now I feel much better. Magnesium activates Vitamin D.

As far as I know Sperti lamp is 70% UVA, 30% UVB and Androv´s one is just UVB. Sperti Lamp is broadband and Androv is Narrowband.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

PeterPositive, you bought the Androv lamp, how is it going on things with that one?. I´ve bought the same one. I´ve read good reviews of people using it. I will use it this autumn and winter to keep my levels after the summer. I come from a deficiency of 11ng/ml, at the end of the summer my levels were 76 ng/ml. I did not feel a real improvement with better Vitamin d levels until I began taking Magnesium. Now I feel much better. Magnesium activates Vitamin D.
It's been working fine for me, my levels of D didn't move during the last winter and during summer I have now enough tolerance to be able to take 30-40 minutes of sun.

As far as I know Sperti lamp is 70% UVA, 30% UVB and Androv´s one is just UVB. Sperti Lamp is broadband and Androv is Narrowband.
I am pretty sure that Sperti does vit-D / UVB only lamps. In fact I originally started looking into UV-B lamps from their website but then found that Androv lamps were easier to get in Europe.

cheers

I am pretty sure that Sperti does vit-D / UVB only lamps. In fact I originally started looking into UV-B lamps from their website but then found that Androv lamps were easier to get in Europe.

cheers

Yes, and her Vitamin D lamp is 70% UVA and 30% UVB. I recently asked them and they answered me that. They don´t have just UVB lamps. That 30% UVB is what raises Vitamin D in their lamps. You can get a lot of Vitamin D from the adequate sunbeds and they don´t have more than 5% UVB. But too much UVA. But I don´t see a bad thing that Sperti Lamp has UVA. UVA has other properties in human health, like producing nitric oxid. But you can get UVA all through the year unless you live in a very cloudy weather much time.

By the way, What levels did you maintain in winter with the lamp? How do you use it?. I guess you must sunbathe during the summer and begin to use it in autunm and Winter.

PeterPositive

Yes, and her Vitamin D lamp is 70% UVA and 30% UVB. I recently asked them and they answered me that. They don´t have just UVB lamps. That 30% UVB is what raises Vitamin D in their lamps. You can get a lot of Vitamin D from the adequate sunbeds and they don´t have more than 5% UVB. But too much UVA. But I don´t see a bad thing that Sperti Lamp has UVA. UVA has other properties in human health, like producing nitric oxid. But you can get UVA all through the year unless you live in a very cloudy weather much time.

By the way, What levels did you maintain in winter with the lamp? How do you use it?. I guess you must sunbathe during the summer and begin to use it in autunm and Winter.
My levels oscillate around 50.
During the cold season I use it 3-4 times a week for at least 10-15 minutes. Typically I do legs (5 min front, 5min back), chest (3 min), back (3min). When I do 10 minutes I only do the legs.

cheers

My levels oscillate around 50.
During the cold season I use it 3-4 times a week for at least 10-15 minutes. Typically I do legs (5 min front, 5min back), chest (3 min), back (3min). When I do 10 minutes I only do the legs.

cheers

At what distance?

You mean 50 ng/ml? If so those are great levels for winter. Have you felt any side effect of using the lamp?