• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise therapy is a beneficial intervention for chronic fatigue syndrome (PEDro synthesis)

Tom Kindlon

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/10/05/bjsports-2017-098407

PEDro systematic review update

Exercise therapy is a beneficial intervention for chronic fatigue syndrome (PEDro synthesis)

1. Jasan Dannaway1,
  2. Cameron C New2,
  3. Charles H New1,
  4. Chris G Maher3
Author affiliations

http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2017-098407

Larun L, Brurberg KG, Odgaard-Jensen J et al. Exercise therapy for chronicfatigue syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;(4):CD003200.

Background
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a common, systemic condition that impairs function due to incapacitating fatigue, the cause of which is unknown.1 Typical symptoms include fatigue, sleep impairment, muscular pain, headaches and trouble concentrating. If left untreated, the prognosis is poor.2Exercise has demonstrated promising positive effects for CFS3 possibly via reversing physical deconditioning1 or central desensitisation of the effort of activity.4

Aim
To evaluate the effectiveness of exercise for CFS.

Sometimes I do wonder really how hard it is to look up the defining core symptom of an illness you pretend to study and gather the knowledge as to what the very words you use mean. This is, again and for the umpteenth time, not CFS as in ME/CFS, but more likely some random assortment of fatiguing disorders if no PEM is even mentioned.

deleder2k

"Although there was limited information, exercise may not worsen symptoms or cause serious side effects."

in the future medical students will learn about the errors that the scientific community made with respect to ME. Statements like that is a disgrace and harmful to patients.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There is a fatal flaw in the study, when you make an analysis of previously completed studies that use manipulated and flawed data it leads to a flawed conclusion.
Path dependence at its worst [facepalm]