• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eukaryotes in the gut microbiota in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

Murph

:)
Eukaryotes in the gut microbiota in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

Alexandra H. Mandarano1, Ludovic Giloteaux1, Betsy A. Keller2, Susan M. Levine1, Maureen R. Hanson1
January 22, 2018
Author and article information
Abstract

Patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) often suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms and many are diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Previous studies, including from our laboratory, have demonstrated that the ME/CFS gut bacterial composition is altered and less diverse when compared to healthy individuals. Patients have increased biomarkers of inflammation and leaky gut syndrome. To further investigate dysbiosis in the ME/CFS gut microbiome, we sought to characterize the eukaryotes present in the gut of 49 individuals with ME/CFS and 39 healthy controls. Using 18S rRNA sequencing, we have identified eukaryotes in stool samples of 17 healthy individuals and 17 ME/CFS patients. Our analysis demonstrates a small, nonsignificant decrease in eukaryotic diversity in ME/CFS patients compared to healthy individuals. In addition, ME/CFS patients show a nonsignificant increase in the ratio of fungal phyla Basidiomycota to Ascomycota, which is consistent with ongoing inflammation in ME/CFS. We did not identify specific eukaryotic taxa that are associated with ME/CFS disease status.

fulltext free: https://peerj.com/articles/4282/

Murph

:)
  1. eukaroytes are fungii and other non-bacteria cells, like protozoa and nematodes.

2. the research on fungi in the gut is in its infancy and so they didn't have good databases to compare to.

3. They found some things that certainly made good graphs. Just eyeballing the data I'm surprised it doesn't meet statsitical significance.
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 2.05.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 2.19.25 PM.png

shannah

Interesting.
Many of us have fungal issues that don't respond to treatment.
Could this somehow be connected?