• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Etiological Model for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
looks almost like one of his I'm halfway through that also discusses kindling from infections. thanks much for the link, heapsreal. :) I cannot read it now, but hope to make my way through it eventually

Enid

Very interesting - thanks heapsreal - the aetiology in all this "chaos" a very welcome line of research.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
There also keeping the retroviral cause a possibility which hopefully keeps investigations going into xmrv etc as well as other viral causes. Any studies coming out now showing infectious causes of cfs is helping our cause and this has come out this month which is great, i hope theres more to come.

cheers!!!

CBS

I'm bumping this back on to the list of recent posts as I missed it when it was first posted and for some reason Jason's article did not appear when I searched pubmed until today.

This is a fascinating article with many interesting thoughts on "syndrome causation" and underlying mechanisms. It is also a good review of the many positive physiologic findings in need of further exploration.

Here is a direct link to the pdf: http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperD...rg/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=4275

An Etiological Model for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Leonard A. Jason*, Matthew Sorenson, Nicole Porter, Natalie Belkairous
Neuroscience & Medicine, 2011, 2, 14-27

ABSTRACT
Kindling might represent a heuristic model for understanding the etiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Kindling occurs when an organism is exposed repeatedly to an initially sub-threshold stimulus resulting in hypersensitivity and spontaneous seizure-like activity. Among patients with ME/CFS, chronically repeated low-intensity stimulation due to an infectious illness might cause kindling of the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Kindling might also occur by high-intensity stimulation (e.g., brain trauma) of the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Once this system is charged or kindled, it can sustain a high level of arousal with little or no external stimulus and eventually this could lead to hypocortisolism. Seizure activity may spread to adjacent structures of the limbichypothalamic-pituitary axis in the brain, which might be responsible for the varied symptoms that occur among patients with ME/CFS. In addition, kindling may also be responsible for high levels of oxidative stress, which has been found in patients with ME/CFS.

Thanks Heapsreal!

alex3619

Hi Heapsreal, this paper is in volume 2 number 1 (March 2011), which did not come up when I clicked on the link, I had to look around. I think there was an earlier thread on this although I am not sure. Bye, Alex