• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Essential tremor

Is essential tremor a lesser known symptom of CFS? I've read they are somewhat common in the general aging population. I had one start about a year ago, right arm. It happens with activity, like if I'm using a fork to eat. It can also happen after activity, like if my arm is tired from an activity. It also gets worse with acute stress (but no activity).

I'm posting this in the neuro section because I believe it's a neuro symptom. I have so many neuro symptoms, I'm wondering if I need to see a neurologist (the tremor, strong chemical sensitivity, lights, odors, sleep troubles, OI for no identifiable cardiac reason and many cognitive problems and I'm not yet 40!)

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Is essential tremor a lesser known symptom of CFS? I've read they are somewhat common in the general aging population. I had one start about a year ago, right arm. It happens with activity, like if I'm using a fork to eat. It can also happen after activity, like if my arm is tired from an activity. It also gets worse with acute stress (but no activity).

I'm posting this in the neuro section because I believe it's a neuro symptom. I have so many neuro symptoms, I'm wondering if I need to see a neurologist (the tremor, strong chemical sensitivity, lights, odors, sleep troubles, OI for no identifiable cardiac reason and many cognitive problems and I'm not yet 40!)

I am not aware of tremor of this sort being part of ME/CFS. If as you say it is worse with action (intention tremor) then benign essential tremor is one of the differential diagnoses but it is uncommon under 40. There are other possible diagnoses so I would advise getting a neurological opinion.

svetoslav80

I have significant tremor when I crash, but I have had it before I became ill. It just gets much worse while I'm crashed.

Thank you all! I actually did just start supplementing B vitamins with a little extra B12 due to having a hernia and needing to be on reflux medication. We will see if that helps the tremor, otherwise I will ask doc for a neuro referral.

IreneF

I was diagnosed with essential tremor and prescribed a beta blocker, but the tremor went away after I stopped taking Neurontin. I quit seeing that doc for that and other reasons, because tremor is known to be a side effect of Neurontin.