• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Essential Oils - what do "discounted" essential oil companies put in their oils as filler?

Bansaw

Companies like Vitacost and NOW sell their oils at discount prices. Their labels say "100% pure ..."
but obviously there's some filler in there thats not declared on the label. (I guess there's a caveat

Is it water, or coconut oil , or some other ?

maybe some day

Our family uses doTerra. Weve had really good results with the oils. Everything from stomach issues, sleeping problems, etc. I dont know what the fillers are. The coconut oil is used to apply the oil over a larger area. I havent tried the brands you mentioned. I wasnt a believer in them until my wife started using the oils. The relief is near immediate

brenda

It's pretty well known that essential oils are often adulterated with other oils so one needs to go to reputable suppliers only.

Bansaw

It's pretty well known that essential oils are often adulterated with other oils so one needs to go to reputable suppliers only.
On the label it says 100% pure. I know by law they are permitted to omit certain ingredients (which I think is wrong). We need to know exactly whats in it.
I'm not planning on ingesting or applying topically these discounted oils, but just burning them.
If its just coconut oil them I'm fine with that, but if its anything else then I'm hesitant.

Carl

If yo use them for anything more than using in some form of diffuser then you are asking for problems. I stick to organic and mainly from NHR Organics but even those have become less attractive recently because they now provide very limited Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) reports.

I would go for a seller which provides some guarantee of purity and some indication of the amounts of the most active constituents. GLC is best of all but many will not do that because of the variation in essential oils with some many factors influencing the final amounts of the eo components.

Last edited: