Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ER visit and severe back pain

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by skyfall, Feb 4, 2016.

  1. skyfall


    I seriously feel so disheartened and don't know what to do anymore. I wrote here recently that i had really bad gyno pain, pulling sensation in ovaries, bloating, discharge, pelvic pain, cramps, gas, and lower back pain (sorry tmi). My pain got so bad at the weekend that i went to the ER.

    They were very thorough to be fair and did a well woman exam (only found yeast), blood tests (only found low pottasium and one number higher in wbc from range (so said it wasn't really showing high elevated levels), and they even did a pelvic and stomach ct to give me peace of mind and that found nothing either. Also a urine test that found nothing but microscopic blood in my urine which i have had for a while now and i am not sure what causes it.
    They then gave me: flagyl, azithro and a shot of rocephin in my behind to cover any possible bacterial infection below and the yeast overgrowth.

    This helped some of the pain subside, but today my back pain is so severe and the only way i can describe it is it feels like something is severely pressing on it, bubbling sensation in lower back, and tugging sensations too. I am wondering if the shot in my behind irritated my back pain even more for some reason. I have taken ibuprofen and nothing helps. I am so miserable. Back pain used to come and go but now it is constantly and so painful. Any ideas? frown emoticon I am starting to wonder if this is going to impact my mobility that as it hurts so much. I am so concerned that shot hit something in my back it shouldn't have
    Little Bluestem and AndyPandy like this.
  2. minkeygirl

    minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

    Left Coast
    We can't offer medical advice. I recommend you see your primary care provider or go back to the ER.
    Valentijn likes this.
  3. PennyIA

    PennyIA Senior Member

    I'll be honest, I think you'll have more luck going to a gynecologist at this point. The ER has ruled out any emergencies (which is awesome, they've done far less for me in the past)... but if you tell them how severe the pain is getting and your concerns they may be able to get to the heart of it.

    I have had both endometriosis and a hysterectomy for adenomyosis and both caused really bad gyno pain and only the gynecologist was able to help me in either situation.

    Good luck.
    CantThink likes this.
  4. barbc56

    barbc56 Senior Member

    Sorry you are going through this. I couldn't agree more about what the previous posters have said.

    I was fortunate enough not to have to deal with severe back pain until two years ago and it's no walk in the park. Then it sends me into a flare.

    Back pain can be caused by so many conditions which can make it hard to diagnose and come up with a treatment plan. I will just list some suggestions below as I can't go into detail right now but please keep in mine I'm not a medical professional and my questions are slanted towards my experience.

    Have you or are you old enough for a DEXA scan?
    Physical therapy evaluation?
    Pain clinic but that would come later.
    Vitaman D levels.
    When is the pain worse or better? Lying, sitting, walking, etc.

    I think I'm forgetting something. Rereading your post, it sounds like are you saying this might be more gynecological?

    If so my questions may not be relevant as my pain is from the degeneration of bones in the spine and kidney stones that won't pass. ( As an aside for anyone dealing with kidney stones and a doctor says they can't be painful inside the kidneys and not obstructing, just mention Small Stone Syndrome. Sorry, but I had to work that in.). I take it no stones were found on the CScan?

    Good luck and keep us posted. I literally feel your pain.

  5. CantThink

    CantThink Senior Member

    England, UK
    After ruling out other gynaecological possibilities with a general gynae. You may want to seek out an endometriosis specialist. The only conclusive way of ruling it out is a laparoscopy. Even an MRI may not show it. Ultrasounds too. It depends what is there - they can show chocolate cysts and deep infiltrating endo.

    I had an MRI and two trans vaginal ultrasounds in the year I ended up having endimetriosis surgery and neither of them showed it.

    I actually could interpret the ultrasounds as showing that my ovary was adhered to my pelvic wall, which it was, and that my uterus had retroverted. This was because I knew what had been shown on previous scans over a 16 year time period, but no doctor put all the pieces together. The later scans didn't show any of the actual endometriosis deposits.

    So of course my understanding of what was going on differed from the doctors and I just had to wait until I got a diagnostic laparoscopy and excision surgery.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page