• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Equilibrant -- can auto immune people take it?

el_squared

Hi there,

I'm being treated at Stanford, although pretty much remotely, only corresponding with a nurse by email. Yesterday I was told that coxsackie levels "were significantly elevated" (I don't have the actual test to look at yet) and they recommend taking Equilibrant. However, I do see a 2009 interview with Dr. Chia ( http://phoenixrising.me/archives/865 ) in which he says people with autoimmune conditions should not take this supplement. Stanford seems to be ignoring my concern about this, and isn't explaining why.
The auto immune condition that I have is Celiac Disease -- I've been gluten free since being diagnosed 10 years ago.

So I'm wondering:

1. Does anyone know if this opinion of Dr. Chia's has changed?

2. Are you someone with a known auto immune condition who has taken Equilbrant? If so, how did it work for you?

SOC

You might try contacting them and asking if there would be a problem taking it with a dx of celiac.
Another useful question is whether the adverse affect on autoimmune patients is dose-related. It might be okay to take 1-2 Equilibrant tablets if you have autoimmune disease, but not 6, for example.

el_squared

In case anyone is interested, here is what Dr. Chia said when he responded to my question posted to his Equilibrant website. I asked about whether having Celiac might be a reason not to take Equilibrant for the Coxsackie virus.

Hi Laura:

I have tried low-doses of equilibrant in patients with Celiac disease who have been totally off gluten. I would start with 1/4 tablet per day with meal and water for 2 weeks. If no there is no problem with typical symptoms of Celiac disease, then you can move up to 1/2 tablet per day for 2-4 weeks. Can then go up to 1/2 tablet twice a day for 2-4 weeks. Increase dose slowly but not to exceed one tablet twice a day, as tolerated. If have problems with increase symptoms, you should taper off equilibrant over one week. Most of the patients who are hypersensitive to gluten did not have significant problem. If it does not help your energy level in 3 months, then it most likely will not help.I typically avoid higher doses so the immune system is not overstimulated.

The main stimulus for Celiac disease is gluten, but the disease could be triggered by viral infections such as adenovirus, enterovirus or injection of interferon. Equilibrant can stimulate the immune response to decrease the tissue viral load in the stomach.It only helps about 50% of patients.

Good Luck,

John Chia MD

@el_squared,
Could you please give the link to this site? I would like to ask a question as well. My Celiac and MCAS were both triggered by interferon injections. It's interesting to know whether they could be reversible if treated with equilibrant
Thank you!

el_squared

@el_squared,
Could you please give the link to this site? I would like to ask a question as well. My Celiac and MCAS were both triggered by interferon injections. It's interesting to know whether they could be reversible if treated with equilibrant
Thank you!
Hi, This is the website for the product, Equilibrant. I emailed through that site and got a response from Dr. Chia.

http://equilibranthealth.com/

By the way, how do you know that your Celiac Disease was triggered by interferon infections? Is that speculation? Were you diagnosed with the infections first, and then began not tolerating gluten?

thanks,
Laura

Hi, This is the website for the product, Equilibrant. I emailed through that site and got a response from Dr. Chia.

http://equilibranthealth.com/

By the way, how do you know that your Celiac Disease was triggered by interferon infections? Is that speculation? Were you diagnosed with the infections first, and then began not tolerating gluten?

thanks,
Laura
Yes, it is speculation. I had never had gluten intolerance before I started treatment with high doses of interferon as prescribed by a doctor...