• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epiglottis Swelling / Sore Throats

Invisible Woman

I have had episodes where the soft palate and the tissue at the back of the mouth & into the throat started to swell. I don't know if the epiglottis became swollen too.

I don't know if it's the same thing. With me it was a sort of slow, steady process. Sometimes taking am extra, different type of anti histamine & sucking ice cubes stops it but at others I've ended up in A&E.

It was worse when I first became ill but occasionally still happens & tends not to be quite so severe now.

Never really found a trigger. I reckon it was maybe a cumulative effect from a couple of different mild allergies affecting me at the same time.

Yep, can concur with other comments here, if feels like glandular fever all over again. If I do physical exercise in the heat the uvula is about as red as a fire engine. I've always thought this 2as either a viral activation or some sort of patterned inflammation. I watched this last night too, it talks about similar processes

Pyrrhus

I think that people often confuse the epiglottis with the uvula. I know I have!

1643950179980.png

I think that people often confuse the epiglottis with the uvula. I know I have!

You usually can't see the epiglottis (sometimes babies) but the u"V"ula hangs down, but because you made me check :) I stumbled on the clinical condition : uvular angioedema. It makes me wonder a little bit, when virus reactivates, can it be for just a few hours ?

1644130143695.png