Our Newly Ill Face Their First Holiday Season with ME/CFS
Don't look now! The holiday season is on its way. I've lived through decades of them with ME/CFS. So have many of you in our chronically ill community. That's beyond sad for all of us. But at least we have some idea what we're contending with, and have learned our ways of handling...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Enterovirus antigen and virus-like particles found in the brainstem in Parkinson’s

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hip, May 7, 2018.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

A new study finds preliminary evidence linking enterovirus to Parkinson’s disease:

Virus-like particles and enterovirus antigen found in the brainstem neurons of Parkinson’s disease.

Parkinsonism has also been previously noted after infection with coxsackievirus B (an enterovirus).

So Parkinson’s disease is another condition that we may in future find is caused by enterovirus. Enterovirus is linked to a number of chronic diseases, including type 1 diabetes and of course ME/CFS.

In ME/CFS, three brain autopsy studies found enterovirus in the brains of ME/CFS patients (and of course numerous studies have found enterovirus in the muscle and intestine tissues of ME/CFS patients).

Enteroviruses such as coxsackievirus B and echovirus can live inside human cells as a non-cytolytic infection — a type of ongoing active infection that can persist indefinitely.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    frederic83, Dechi, Abha and 17 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Nice find, @Hip .

Hip likes this.
  3. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    This is very interesting, others have found an infectious conection to many other brain and "auto imune"diseases like
    Alzheimer´s disease.
    Amy Proal has been writting extensively about this subject in the excelent blog Microbeminded.

Art Vandelay likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.