Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Enterovirus antigen and virus-like particles found in the brainstem in Parkinson’s

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hip, May 7, 2018.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

A new study finds preliminary evidence linking enterovirus to Parkinson’s disease:

Virus-like particles and enterovirus antigen found in the brainstem neurons of Parkinson’s disease.

Parkinsonism has also been previously noted after infection with coxsackievirus B (an enterovirus).

So Parkinson’s disease is another condition that we may in future find is caused by enterovirus. Enterovirus is linked to a number of chronic diseases, including type 1 diabetes and of course ME/CFS.

In ME/CFS, three brain autopsy studies found enterovirus in the brains of ME/CFS patients (and of course numerous studies have found enterovirus in the muscle and intestine tissues of ME/CFS patients).

Enteroviruses such as coxsackievirus B and echovirus can live inside human cells as a non-cytolytic infection — a type of ongoing active infection that can persist indefinitely.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    frederic83, Dechi, Abha and 17 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Nice find, @Hip .

Hip likes this.
  3. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    This is very interesting, others have found an infectious conection to many other brain and "auto imune"diseases like
    Alzheimer´s disease.
    Amy Proal has been writting extensively about this subject in the excelent blog Microbeminded.

Art Vandelay likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.