• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enterovirus antigen and virus-like particles found in the brainstem in Parkinson’s

Hip

A new study finds preliminary evidence linking enterovirus to Parkinson’s disease:

Virus-like particles and enterovirus antigen found in the brainstem neurons of Parkinson’s disease.

Parkinsonism has also been previously noted after infection with coxsackievirus B (an enterovirus).

So Parkinson’s disease is another condition that we may in future find is caused by enterovirus. Enterovirus is linked to a number of chronic diseases, including type 1 diabetes and of course ME/CFS.

In ME/CFS, three brain autopsy studies found enterovirus in the brains of ME/CFS patients (and of course numerous studies have found enterovirus in the muscle and intestine tissues of ME/CFS patients).

Enteroviruses such as coxsackievirus B and echovirus can live inside human cells as a non-cytolytic infection — a type of ongoing active infection that can persist indefinitely.

Last edited:

jpcv

This is very interesting, others have found an infectious conection to many other brain and "auto imune"diseases like
Alzheimer´s disease.
Amy Proal has been writting extensively about this subject in the excelent blog Microbeminded.