• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Endoscopy does it detect coeliacs?

erin

I had an endoscopy and a biopsy for Coeliac. The result was negative. I was gluten free before this biopsy for the obvious GI problems we all have. The dr told me to go back to the gluten.

I did. Oh my! I was so sick, not only that now I am completely allergic to dairy too! I can't tolerate milk at all, miniscule amount of white coloured cheeses and yoghurt all I can eat. No ice cream, milky puddings, milk itself.

I'm supposed to be not Coeliac!

Learner1

I had an endoscopy and a biopsy for Coeliac. The result was negative. I was gluten free before this biopsy for the obvious GI problems we all have. The dr told me to go back to the gluten.

I did. Oh my! I was so sick, not only that now I am completely allergic to dairy too! I can't tolerate milk at all, miniscule amount of white coloured cheeses and yoghurt all I can eat. No ice cream, milky puddings, milk itself.

I'm supposed to be not Coeliac!
I read somewhere that, depending on the doctor's experience, biopsies can miss celiac, and that some patients had as many as 10 before finally being diagnosed as celiac.

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is very real and can damage your health. And once, the intestines and immune system are activated, you can begin reacting to other foods, too
You might be interested in this test which tests for these cross-reactive foods:

https://www.joincyrex.com/the-cyrex...iated-cross-reactive-foods-foods-sensitivity-

Their other arrays may be helpful, too:

https://www.joincyrex.com/the-cyrex-system

Mithriel

The biopsies were done because a gluten free diet is so hard to follow that confirmation that you actually were coeliac was important. The loss of villa is very distinctive but only apparent if gluten has caused the inflammation.

I have never known how people find it easy to keep to restricted diets. My kids have an awful time of it. Daughter is a nurse and everyone else picks up a quick sandwich but she has to cook her own when she gets home at 11pm to leave at 6am to start her next shift. Nights out only cider or shorts, weddings and occasions offer a gluten free meal but you never know what you will get. My son was served carrots and peas at one meal. It really affects social life.

Eating at home isn't so bad but food is expensive. Things are a bit better now as more shops sell gluten free, but the regulations have been relaxed and more contamination is allowed than before.

What is good is that places like M&S are selling much of their food gluten free. It was so frustrating when a dab of mustard or soy sauce was added as seasoning.

Learner1

I've been on a gluten free diet for 6 years and I can say that it's an evolution. You have to get through your head that gluten is actively damaging your health, whether you're celiac or not.
In a study published in GUT in 2007 a group of researchers asked themselves the question: “Is gliadin really safe for non-coeliac individuals?” In order to test the hypothesis that an innate immune response to gliadin is common in patients with Celiac disease and without Celiac disease, intestinal biopsy cultures were taken from both groups and challenged with crude gliadin, the gliadin synthetic 19-mer (19 amino acid long gliadin peptide) and 33-mer deamidated peptides. Results showed that all patients with or without Celiac disease when challenged with the various forms of gliadin produced an interleukin-15-mediated response. The researchers concluded: “The data obtained in this pilot study supports the hypothesis that gluten elicits its harmful effect, throughout an IL15 innate immune response, on all individuals."

https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/grain-a-double-edged-sword/#
Once you understand that, you get to a point where gluten containing foods don't even register as food in your brain. (You wouldn't eat food with arsenic or e. coli sprinkled on it, would you?)

And substituting "gluten free" grains may not be the best idea...

https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/g...en-unsafe-ingredients-for-gluten-sensitivity/

There's plenty of wonderful food to eat aside from gluten.:thumbsup:

erin

Is lack of gluten will ever cause any problems? I'm almost pressured by my family to eat gluten.

They think my weight lose problem is caused by not eating food with gluten.

My diet is restricted, not eating cakes and biscuits and I rarely bake gluten free versions because I can't be bothered. I had food with a trace of gluten but I won't eat any wheat products.

Learner1

Is lack of gluten will ever cause any problems? I'm almost pressured by my family to eat gluten.

They think my weight lose problem is caused by not eating food with gluten.

My diet is restricted, not eating cakes and biscuits and I rarely bake gluten free versions because I can't be bothered. I had food with a trace of gluten but I won't eat any wheat products.
The quote I gave above says gluten harms all people. (They just don't know it...)