The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Employment Must Not Be the Aim of Mental Health Treatment (Huffington Post UK article)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kyla, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-jay-watts/mental-health_b_10769174.html?edition=uk

excerpt:

slysaint, Sea, taniaaust1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I would like to add a caveat. I agree with the commentary above, but would like to add that I wish employment outcomes were a standard objective measure in studies in psychiatry. If we use that on PACE it becomes FAIL.

panckage, mango, taniaaust1 and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I agree - but for a different reason - it will show that such interventions do not lead to employment changes - so the justification for such therapies to increase employment (as per the article in question) is eliminated.

mango, Valentijn, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes, that is a direct implication of what I am saying. Objective outcome measure are needed to prevent psychobabble claims being taken seriously. I think some percentage of people with some problems may be helped ... but I think it is small. In any case if we had evidence, hard evidence, then pie-in-the-sky claims could be directly countered.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    mango and alkt like this.
  6. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    the only people who may be helped back into working life are those who are only suffering from a lack of self confidence after a period of unemployment. as for where these benevolent employers who would actually take on people with chronic health problems they probably live in the same cloud cuckoo land that the dwp s policy makers live in . certainly not the world i have observed.

slysaint and Wildcat like this.
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    here in Australia they try to get around this by the disability job agencies which help the disabled to find jobs, they often encourage the person to do cleaning contract work in the belief that the person who has ME/CFS can choose their own better times to work and say "oh you can cancel out then when you are sicker and just make it another time'

of cause that doesnt work well and just causes a huge amount of stress from all the cancelations ones does and then the work to get throu just gets more and more as the cancel jobs get added to the others

alkt likes this.
  8. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Wow sounds like religion. Religion no longer uses God to explain lightning. Now it looks like psychiatry is giving up on its assertion that it can get people back to work :)

alkt likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.