• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Embargo broken: Bristol University Professor to discuss trial of quack cfs tx

Esther12

I think there is an argument that can be made that it is not credible because there is no scientific basis/evidence for the techniques used. There is no science behind NLP and they talk about controlling adrenalin but there is no evidence of this. But the argument is that LP is not credible (for anything).

I also think it is important to explain why Crawley's trial failed to show anything as you simply can't measure such interventions where people are told they will get better if they believe they are with subjective measures. If Crawley was really serious about testing LP she could have used more objective methods and even done things like testing adrenalin.

Yes, but that requires going into some specifics of the claims made within LP.

They didn't seem interested in testing the claims they make about LP:

The Lightning Process® is an intervention that is used for a variety of conditions including CFS/ME and has been developed from osteopathy, coaching and neuro-linguistic programming. It is a three-day training programme run by registered practitioners and designed to teach individuals a new set of techniques for improving life and health, through consciously switching on health promoting neurological pathways.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2017/september/lightning-process.html

Yes tricky

And I think we can turn SMILE around. It will be easier to make LP seem ridiculous and the methodology flaws are very similar to CBT/GET research.

What ME Action Network UK went with was:

"#MEAction Rejects the Findings of the SMILE Trial of The Lightning Process for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Trial Uses Flawed Methodology That Can Lead To False Positives

Following the release of the results of the SMILE trial, Ben HsuBorger of ME Action said: “The SMILE trial of the Lightning Process, a known quack treatment, for ME/CFS, used unblinded treatment coupled with subjective, self-report outcomes. It illustrates that such serious design flaws can produce an apparently positive result for almost any treatment approach. It comes as no surprise that this trial was conducted by the same team that promotes the use of graded exercise therapy and CBT for ME/CFS, based on the same flawed trial practices. ME/CFS is a serious neuro-immune disease as highlighted by the work of Ron Davis, Naviaux, Montoya, Mark Davis and others. It cannot be treated effectively by behavioural interventions. We reject all three treatments and reiterate our call for biomedical research.”

http://www.meaction.net/news/press-releases/

I wondered if use of the word 'reject' has some anti-science connotations?: It could imply being more emotionally or ideologically driven rather that a result of assessing the evidence and disputing the interpretations put forth by others. The same with "It cannot be treated effectively by behavioural interventions" - perhaps one day there will be some evidence of some effective behavioural intervention? For now, we can just pick apart the misleading and harmful claims made to promote behavioural treatments for ME/CFS.

Cheshire

It is a three-day training programme run by registered practitioners

If they are registered, then it must be serious.
So where are they registered?
All practitioners, regardless of their background, have completed a minimum of 12 months intensive client based training with the Phil Parker Training Institute. To graduate each practitioner must demonstrate skills and competence in delivering the training and have an in-depth knowledge of the relevant subjects required. In order to be granted a licence to practice and be accepted onto the Register, our practitioners also need to maintain their Continuing Professional Development, undertake supervision and abide by the Register’s code of conduct.

Oh, on Phil Parker's register. Sure it can't be wrong.

And always remember:
upload_2017-9-23_16-43-35.png

http://lightningprocess.com/lp-register/

Last edited:

BurnA

I wondered if use of the word 'reject' has some anti-science connotations?: It could imply being more emotionally or ideologically driven rather that a result of assessing the evidence and disputing the interpretations put forth by others. The same with "It cannot be treated effectively by behavioural interventions" - perhaps one day there will be some evidence of some effective behavioural intervention?

I don't think there is any need to look for hidden meanings or interpretations, lets concentrate on the big issues that face us?