• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated - MCH, MCV, Calcium - Low Uric Acid, Low RBC

Hi,
After being in excruciating pain on my left arm/shoulder I did a bone scan which showed an inflammatory process from head to toe. That or dystrophy. They couldn't decide. The doctor also couldn't give me straight answer. This has been the story for a year and counting.

Background - Spinal surgery 1993
Lyme in 2000
decline starts around 2004.
From 2004 to now I've basically been working 1 hour and resting for 5 throughout the days.
Repeated bouts of shingles and many rashes
Pain, muscle tremors

All the doctors - don't know - fibro is mentioned. Then I go to the ER on Sunday with more shingles to be told to have a brain MRI and EMG, NCT. Neuro test showed deficits with no reflexes on right leg. This probably due to really bad spinal situation. How much of my not feeling well is or not based on the issues of my spine is a huge question. One no one seems to be able to answer. I had a lamenctomy and disectomy of L3-L4. Ever since I've not been well and it's just progressed from there. Then the Lyme.

I am positive with EBV/CMV/HSV antibodies.

Blood:

RBC: 4.11 (4.20-5.40)
MCV: 98.8 (80-94)
MCH : 32.2 (25-31)
CALCIUM 10.1 (8.5-10.5)
Uric Acid 1.9 (2.5-6.0)
C-RP 0.100 (0.00-0.500)

Any thoughts on this? Most appreciate any new input.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Blood:

RBC: 4.11 (4.20-5.40)
MCV: 98.8 (80-94)
MCH : 32.2 (25-31)

It looks like you may be slightly anemic possibly due to medications, hypothyroidism, liver disease, B12 and/or folate deficiency or other causes. Judging from the numbers above, I would imagine your hematocrit (HCT) or Packed Cell Volume (PCV) is borderline low. That would mean you could be slightly anemic. This could affect your energy level, but not to the extent of working 1 hour and resting for 5. Being only slightly anemic would only affect your energy level slightly, if at all.

While the stated normal range for MCV is 80-94, some labs have an upper normal limit of 99. This is an overview of what could be causing your macrocytosis (elevated MCV), plus some ideas for follow-up tests (see Figure 3):
Evaluation of Macrocytosis
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/0201/p203.html

B12 deficiency was ruled out, there is some fatty liver disease, no medications. These numbers are ongoing now for a few years. The only thing that's changed are the RBC numbers and high Calcium. 10.1 is high, albeit normal. HCT was very low, it's increased over the last few months and seems to be stable. Forgot to mention that MPV was elevated - range 7.2-11.2 was 11.4. WBC was also low but seems to be in the normal range right now. I don't know if that's good or bad. It could be low but I might be fighting something and so appears to be within normal range. Alas.