• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated IgA levels

zoe.a.m.

Hi,
I've just gotten (the most basic) results by phone that my IgAs are elevated (not low as the doctor expected) and further testing will be needed. I was supposed to meet with the doctor tomorrow to discuss everything, but she is sick and can't see me for over a week. I searched around for this subject and didn't find anything specific to this and I'm just curious if anyone else has received similar results (sorry I don't have an actual lab number, but I assume it's high enough if she wants more tests--I had a lot done in the last draw) or if anyone just has a clue what this could indicate...?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light or who has any ideas!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
iga levels can be a sign of gut and membrane problems. Bacteria and yeast infections can be the main problem. Do u have specific symptoms like diarrhoea/constipation, dry eyes etc. Antibiotics like flagyl are good for bacterial gut infections and nizoral, diflucan, nystatin are good for yeast problems and probiotics for both. Treating these can help with cfs symptoms, but i dont think is the sole cause of cfs but opportunistic infections.
Hopefully i have given u enough to google and find more info.

cheers!!

zoe.a.m.

iga levels can be a sign of gut and membrane problems. Bacteria and yeast infections can be the main problem. Do u have specific symptoms like diarrhoea/constipation, dry eyes etc. Antibiotics like flagyl are good for bacterial gut infections and nizoral, diflucan, nystatin are good for yeast problems and probiotics for both. Treating these can help with cfs symptoms, but i dont think is the sole cause of cfs but opportunistic infections.
Hopefully i have given u enough to google and find more info.

cheers!!

Thanks heapsreal!!

I did get to googling and everything celiac related came up. Then I got word that I am to have a celiac-specific test (endomysial AB), but I still don't know my IgA number, which I feel would tell me something...? I have passing digestive systems, but they really do change week-to-week and day-to-day. I am helped tremendously with Chinese herbs, but it doesn't help me in translating what is being treated in allopathic terms. After reading some things on several celiac sites, I have had the wasting, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, and more that is supposed to be classic celiac. I do not see fever listed with celiac however, so I would hardly be satisfied with that as a diagnosis, but the result was unexpected anyway.

I wonder if the IgA numbers can correlate to MCS or general allergies, because I have extremely recurrent upper respiratory infections.

What I'm trying to gauge is whether it's weird for ME/CFS patients to have high IgA (as, like the doctor, I thought my numbers would be low).