• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effective non-meds approaches to manage noradrenaline

xrunner

I have come across quite a few posts from people complaining about high noradrenaline levels and related effects (disturbed sleep, anxiety, insomnia etc).
This used to be a big problem for me and it still comes back when I overdo things e.g. if I overexert during the day, than I sleep less well at night, waking up earlier than usual and/or feel kind of restless. Although I have made good progress and don't have much of an issue any longer with pem, my main residual symptom is some kind of imbalance in the nervous/stress response system.
Anyhow, I don't take meds any longer (took diazepam for some time) to correct this as I have found other remedies quite effective in managing these symptoms. This is what works for me.

Andrographis: this is my best remedy to get noradrenaline under control, it calms down the mind like no other I have ever tried. I take 2 or 3 caps (Paradise Herbs) twice a day. The max dosage according to herbalist Stephen Buhner is 4x4. http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-Ultimate-Andrographis-60-Veggie-Caps/4235?at=0

Reishi: If I can't fall asleep for any reason I take 1cap(Paradise Herbs). I found it works really well for relaxing the muscles.

Ashwagandha: I don't use it much now except when I go to the mountains where for some reason I can't sleep very well. This is the only remedy that gives me protracted sleep (many other remedies are good to fall asleep but their effect wears out after a few hours). This is the only one that makes me sleep 7-8 hours. I take 1 cap (Paradise Herbs) before going to bed (plus 1 reishi) and sometimes another during the day if necessary.

Hope this helps.

PS: I use Paradise Herbs only because I found them quite consistent in terms of herbs potency and purity.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i have found ahswaganda/withania helpful, also use phosphatidylserine which is suppose to help with high night time cortisol levels.

I find alot of natural things i have to cycle off and on for them to keep working.

First time i took withania in a tincture it really mellowed me but gee it tasted terrible, pills werent as strong but helped.

xrunner

Yes heaps, I also found that with herbs the key is potency and dosage. There's so much "coloured water" out there.

I have tried the Andrographis and I think I'm feeling better. I usually feel (since I got ill) anxious, irritable and withdrawn. Since I tried I felt something lifting, more relaxed and easygoing. I'm easier to talk to and feel like going out and enjoy myself. I also had fewer problems sleeping.
Another thing happened, not sure whether it's coincidental or what, but since october I had a cold on and off and after three or four days on the andrographis, it was gone.
I also just started the simplified methylation protocol which could have helped also.
If it continues like this it's GREAT!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I've studied (TCM) Traditional Chinese Medicine and have been using Chinese and Ayurvedic herbs for 35 years.

Andrographis (chuan xin lian) is a VERY STRONG ANTIBIOTIC herb. I have never heard of it being used for anxiety, insomnia, or to get noradrenaline under control. Because of its strong antibiotic properties, it is not a good idea to take this herb on a regular basis for extended periods of time. It's hard on the digestive organs (cold bitter herbs are known to be that way), and it can definitely have a negative impact on gut flora, which can cause candida overgrowth in some people. Most TCM practitioners usually blend it with warming herbs, aka "spleen tonics," to balance its intensely cold properties. When taking andrographis, it's always a good idea to make sure to be taking probiotics on an alternating schedule. Here's additional info about it:http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herb...alist.com/wiki.details/70/category/0/start/0/

Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic herb used as an adaptogen. Not only does it help to strengthen the adrenals, it also can also boost T3 (thyroid hormone) levels. I have personally not found it to be particularly sedating, but it does have some positive effects on calming the nervous system for some people.

As for PARADISE HERBS... go figure that those worked out well for you, xrunner...? I have had some bad reactions to their herbs, and questions their purity in terms of toxins and heavy metals. Many herbs from China are contaminated, and I would not consider using them. The cleanest purest Chinese herbs you can get are the Sun Ten/Brion or Evergreen brands, but you need to have a TCM practitioner to access them.

xrunner

Hi Dreambirdie,

I only talk about my own personal experience, I know absolutely nothing of TCM. I'm interested in practical solutions that work for me. This doesn't mean that they will work the same for others.

Ref the Andrographis, there's an in-depth scientific review of the herb in Stephen Buhner's "Healing Lyme". It has a strong affinity for brain and spinal cord where the highest concentration have been measured followed by other organs. As an antiparasitical and antispirochetal I found it disappointing. It never had on me any truly abx effect, and at the same time never any negative impact on my gut, perhaps slightly positive.
However, I'm aware of various clinical studies that found the herb effective in the treatment of various infections due to bacteria, parasites and viruses. That's why I tried it in the first place. Its main effect on me is that it relaxes my mind beautifully, as a stress buster I found it better than ashwagandha which has also worked pretty well for me.
Other people I know have also found it also helpful as a stress remedy. There are internet reviews on Lyme forums about its CNS relaxing properties although I have also come across some where it had the opposite effect or none at all but thanks for the advice.

Reishi: it sounds like a paradox reaction and in my experience they're often caused by sensitivity. I had a similar experience with valerian. I read about Reishi in a book on medicinal mushrooms and cancer (forgot the title) and it was mentioned there it does have anticholinergic effects. I have found it a great muscle relaxer and tonic at the same time.Friends and family members love it.

As regards Paradise Herbs I've used them for years and never had any problem with them. I like they're quite powerful and more importantly they don't use any fillers. I also use other brands for other herbs but thanks for the advice.

On another topic, I wondered whether you know a safe source/brand of Mimosa Pudica a herb I've wanted to try for some time.

All the best