• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Earn $$$ chit-chatting online

Dainty

A company in the process of developing chat software needs people to use their system, and will pay for it. The pay isn't much--10 cents per chat line, up to $50/week, and it must be in "organic conversation" with another person rather than talking to yourself.

PM me if interested and I'll give you the details. It's only open to U.S. residents, sorry.

This is the second week I've been doing it and i just got paid for the first week. I learned about it from my sister, who's been doing it for a lot longer. So it's not a scam--you do get paid. You have to fill out a W-9 form for tax purposes, this will include giving out a lot of your personal information, including Social Security number. One of my friends had security concerns, which I cannot verify in either direction. I know for myself, I needed the money and chatting is something my brain is good at, so I jumped at it!

Everyone on the room has been friendly and accepting. Most are in the same boat regarding income. We get paid to hang out and talk about pretty much anything under the sun. It's not much, but it helps!

(And, just in case anyone's wondering, I do not get anything additional for referring new people to it.)

Let me know!

Last edited:

Dainty

I just wanted to give you all a quick update. I've now been earning $50/week from this gig for an entire month! It's not enough to live on, but it sure helps. I know of more than one person with unique health issues who are disabled by them, so you wouldn't be alone in chatting with people who can relate.

Don't be shy! If you're in the US and looking to earn money this can be a great way for those of us whose brain works better with chatting.

I guess phone sex would be a good option for us too... Does this option still exist? We have a bedroom voices most of the time so I think we could do well at it :rofl:

It does! But the money isn't as good as it used to be. Or so I've heard... :rofl:

Dainty

May I ask how many hours a week you put into chatting to see $50 a week? Thanks!

I don't really keep track. I found the routine that worked best for me was to pick a day of the week that is my "chatting day" to be on as much as possible throughout the day, and I often got $20 from that alone. Then spending about 1-2 hours/day for 3 other days of the week usually got me to $50, sometimes more sometimes less.

The thing is it really depends on the other people in the room. If the conversation is slow, you earn slow. If no one else is in there, you earn nothing. Only when conversation is fast can you earn quickly. It's very hit and miss.

General update: As of last week I have stopped working there, but it's still an option for others. The short of it is I saw the boss's true colors when he fired my little sister for an innocent error (accidentally sent her invoice in too early) and then accused me of harassment when I calmly requested he reconsider. I haven't officially quit or been fired, but I'd REALLY rather not work for a jerk if I can help it.

The rules are also beginning to change in ways that make it more difficult to earn.

The option is still there, but unfortunately I can no longer wholeheartedly recommend it.

Last edited:

Dainty

Update: So, I only quit for a month. :p He asked me to come back, and I needed the money. The boss isn't always the greatest, but generally no communication is required beyond following a template for an invoice every week, so there's no recurring stress with that. The new rules have settled out, and I can once again recommend this as a decent option for those who need the money.

PM me for the details, I just heard that he's looking for more people! There's no resume to fill out, no interview, no references or work experience needed. You'll need to fill out a W-9 tax form with basic info and email that in, and it's open to U.S. residents only.

Dainty

Today I got a document from this job for tax purposes, specifying how much income I made from them in 2016. That's something I forgot to mention, this is considered a contract position rather than being an "employee", so you have to do your own taxes. Any income is gross income, which means you have to pay taxes out of it.

Here's what I got:

Chat%202016%20Misc.%20income%20form_zpsjqv2dspf.jpg

I'm really proud of how much I made! That's from this online chat job alone, over the course of 28 weeks.

Just wanted to share. :) They're still accepting more people!

Dainty

Update: If anyone's still interested in this, unfortunately I have to report that for new chatters the pay has been slashed in half. :( The max you can earn is still $50/week, you'd just have to work twice as hard to earn that at only 5 cents per line instead of 10 cents.

The upside is they're super reliable about paying and it's definitely not a scam, like so many other work-from-home stuff out there. I continue to earn $50/week on this, every single week. It really helps.

Tammy

I just wanted to let you all know I'm still earning $50/week on this! I've been doing so every week this year, which really helps a lot to make ends meet.
Has the pay gone up any........that you know of for new chatters?

Dainty

Has the pay gone up any........that you know of for new chatters?

Last I heard it was still 5 cents/line, but I'll ask again for you. It helps if I can tell him that I know people who are interested, except the lower pay rate is putting them off. :(